Gajar ka halwa recipe step by step pictures
What is Gajar ka Halwa?
It is a pudding made using carrot, milk, sugar and clarified butter i.e. ghee. It is one of the most popular desserts prepared in North India during winters. It is also known as gajrela. Mommies prepare gajar ka halwa and refrigerate it and same is relished by everyone, as it stays good up to one week. There are many ways of making gajar ka halwa; this is the traditional gajar ka halwa recipe which involves some muscle work and lots of timeJ. But it is worth!
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Gajar ka halwa recipe
It calls for red and juicy carrots. In India, the carrots that are apt for making gajar ka halwa are available during winters only and therefore it is a winter’s delight. No special ingredients are required for this recipe of gajar ka halwa. Yes, it needs your time and that too depends on the quantity being prepared. Some nuts have been added for bite and flavour and the best way to add them is by frying them. It makes a lot of difference so do not skip frying your cashews.
Gajar ka Halwa Recipe
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||1-2 hours|
|Total time||2 hours 15 minutes|
Ingredients for Gajar Ka Halwa recipe
4 cups (or 8 nos. or ½ kg) grated carrots
4 cups (or 1 l) milk
¼ cup (or 60 ml) clarified butter (ghee)
½ – ¾ cup (or 120 g) sugar (as per taste)
Handful of broken cashews (kaju tudka)
Handful of raisins (kishmish)
How to make Gajar Ka Halwa
- Heat 1 tbsp (out of ¼ cup) ghee. Add handful of cashews. Fry on low heat till pinkish. Keep aside for now. (Tip: Frying nuts make them tastier and crispier).
- In same ghee, add handful of raisins. Cook till raisins puff up. Keep aside. Keep the remaining ghee aside, it will be used in the end of the recipe.
- Take a broad and preferably non stick pan/ Add 4 cups milk and 4 cups tightly packed grated carrots. (Tip: Use medium blade to grate carrots).
- Cook on low-medium flame, stirring occasionally. Cook till the milk is absorbed. (Tip: For best colour of gajar ka halwa, first of all cook carrots and milk. Ghee should be added later).
- Add ¼ cup (less 1tbsp used in step 1) clarified butter (ghee). Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add ¾ cup sugar (I prefer my desserts quite sweet, therefore this much sugar. You can add ½ cup for moderately sweet halwa, if that’s how you like it.).
- Continue to cook stirring occasionally.
- Cook till milk is totally absorbed. Halwa will come together and leave the sides. Ghee will ooze out.
- Finish off with fried cashews and raisins.
- Add cardamom powder. (Tip: For maximum flavour add cardamom powder while garnishing).
- Add remaining ghee in which nuts were fried.
- Serve hot. Bon appétit.
- You can add some saffron strands dissolved in milk.
- You can use slivered almond for garnish.