Rice Kheer recipe is a pudding made using milk, sugar and rice. Rice pudding in the given recipe has been flavoured with some cardamoms and coconut. It has a perfect creamy consistency. Kheer is a very popular Indian dessert and is often prepared on auspicious and pious occasions. This dessert can be served warm, at room temperature or chilled. Do try this recipe for kheer as it is a
quick recipe for dessert(under 30 minutes)
kheer for sharad purnima and other festivals
Rice – Kheer can be prepared using vermicelli, sago etc. I have used basmati rice. I used whole basmati rice and soaked them. Thereafter I mashed them a little. You may use basmati churi i.e. the smaller and grainy rice.
Other ingredients – I have used ghee for roasting the rice to give it a rich look and a different taste. Apart from that, I heated milk in the microwave for 3 minutes before adding to the kheer. It helps in cooking kheer quickly. I have not added saffron. You may soak few saffron strands in lukewarm milk and add to the kheer. Since I like my desserts quite sweet, I have used 5 tbsp sugar. You may adjust as per your choice.
PREP TIME 1 hour soaking time + 10 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 40 minutes
1. Strain soaked rice.
2. Mash them using fingers
3. Heat 1 tsp ghee.
4. Add soaked and crushed rice.
5. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Heat 4 cups milk in a microwave for 3 minutes.
7. Add hot milk to rice.
8. Cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
9. Stir and cook for 15-20 minutes.
10. Kheer would have thickened. Rice would be soft and cooked.
11. Add 2 tbsp chopped coconut and 1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
12. Add 5 tbsp sugar and mix well.
13. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
14. Bon Appétit: Finish with sliced almonds and pistachio. Serve this sweet dessert warm or at room temperature or chilled.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback