Hariyali gatte recipe with step by step pictures
What is Hariyali Gatte?
Shallow fried gram flour dumpling that is gatte, soft and melt in mouth gatte, cooked in flavourful spinach gravy… Combination of gatte and spinach gravy is awesome. Hariyali gatte is a very delicious and interesting twist to the regular gatte curry. Hariyali gatte can be served with chapattis or rice. No fancy breads are required. The dish itself is fancy enough.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Hariyal Gatte
Hariyali gatte… the hariyali comes from spinach gravy and the gatte come from… gatte (obviously).
Both are tricky to make, at least for me. I was never happy with my spinach gravy. At times it would lose its colour. At time it would lose its texture. At times it would be too bland. And a lot more miserable things have happened with my spinach gravy. But this recipe gave me a nice colour, (me as in my gravy not me) awesome flavours and wonderful taste and texture!
For gatte, I have used my tried and tested recipe.
Hariyali Gatte Recipe
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
|Total time||50 minutes|
Ingredients for Hariyali Gatte Recipe
- 1 bunch spinach (palak) (approx 1 kg) discard the stems and wash thoroughly
- 1/2 tsp salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch of baking soda
- 2 cloves (laung)
- 4 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A big pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 mace (javitri) crushed
- Water as needed
- 1.5 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 tbsp oil
- A big pinch of soda
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
- 2-2.5 tbsp yogurt (dahi)
How to make Hariyali Gatte
Boil the spinach. In a pan add the spinach leaves, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and a pinch of baking soda/eno. No water is needed. Boil for 4-5 minutes.
Once it has boiled, let it cool.
After it cools, grind it with 2 cloves. And keep the spinach puree aside.
Heat 3 tbsp ghee
Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a good pinch of heeng.
Add 1/2 cup chopped onions.
Cook till the onions turn golden brown.
Add 1 tbsp ginger paste and 2 tbsp garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell goes away.
Add 1 cup pureed tomatoes.
Cook till the oil oozes out.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1 javitri powdered. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the pureed spinach.
Cook till the oil oozes out.
- Add 1 cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- To make gatte, in a large bowl add 1 and 1/2 cup gram flour, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.
- Add 2 tbsp oil..
- Mix everything.
- Use 2 to 2and1/2 tbsp curd to make semi-soft dough.
Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, re-punch the dough.\
In a pan boil water. Add the logs to boiling water.
Let the log boil till the float on the surface. This will take 7-8 minutes.
Once the logs have boiled, take them out and let them cool a bit.
Cut into roundels.
- Shallow fry gatte till golden brown.
- Add to the spinach gravy.
Let it simmer for 7-8 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp ghee.
Check the seasoning and consistency. Add salt and water if required.
Bon appétit: Serve Hariyali Gatte with jeera rice.
- Do not over boil gatte. They get hard.
- You can add dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) in the gravy.