Hariyali gatte recipe with step by step pictures
What is Hariyali Gatte?
Shallow fried gram flour dumpling cooked in flavourful spinach gravy… Combination of gatte and spinach gravy is awesome. Hariyali gatte is a very delicious and interesting twist to the regular gatte curry. Hariyali gatte can be served with chapattis or rice. No fancy bread is required. The dish itself is fancy enough.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Hariyal Gatte
Hariyali gatte… the hariyali comes from spinach gravy and the gatte come from… gatte (obviously).
Both are tricky to make, at least for me. I was never happy with my spinach gravy. At times it would lose its color. At the time it would lose its texture. At times it would be too bland. And a lot more miserable things have happened with my spinach gravy. But this recipe gives a nice color, with awesome flavors and wonderful taste and texture!
For gatte, I have used my tried and tested recipe.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 50 minutes
For spinach gravy:
1. Boil the spinach. In a pan add the spinach leaves; add 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar and a pinch of baking soda/eno. No water is needed. Boil for 4-5 minutes.
2. Once it has boiled, let it cool.
3. After it cools, grind it with 2 cloves. And keep the spinach puree aside.
4. Heat 3 tbsp ghee.
5. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and a good pinch of heeng.
6. Add 1/2 cup chopped onions.
7. Cook till the onions turn golden brown.
8. Add 1 tbsp ginger paste and 2 tbsp garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell goes away.
9. Add 1 cup pureed tomatoes.
10. Cook till the oil oozes out.
11. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1 javitri powdered. Cook for 2 minutes.
12. Add the pureed spinach.
13. Cook till the oil oozes out.
14. Add 1 cup water and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
15. To make gatte, in a large bowl add 1 and 1/2 cup gram flour, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.
16. Add 2 tbsp oil.
17. Mix everything.
18. Use 2-2 and 1/2 tbsp curd to make semi soft dough.
19. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
20. After 10 minutes, re-punch the dough.
21. In a pan boil water.
22. Make logs.
23. Add the logs to boiling water.
24. Let the log boil till the float on the surface. This will take 7-8 minutes.
25. Once the logs have boiled, take them out and let them cool a bit.
26. Cut into roundels.
27. Shallow fry gatte till golden brown.
28. Add to the spinach gravy.
29. Let it simmer for 7-8 minutes.
30. Add 1 tbsp ghee.
31. Check the seasoning and consistency. Add salt and water if required.
32. Bon appétit.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback