Cabbage Kofta Curry Recipe with step by step pictures
What is cabbage kofta curry?
Cabbage kofta is dumplings made of cabbage flavored with simple spices, some ginger, and fresh coriander. The Patta Gobhi Kofta are then cooked in tomato based gravy to make cabbage kofta curry. It is a no onion no garlic recipe. In fact, koftas in the given recipe are the non-fried ones. Cabbage kofta curry recipe is a distinct recipe using cabbage. It can be served with chapattis or parathas.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for cabbage kofta curry recipe
To make cabbage koftas, cabbage is grated and flavored with some basic spices. They are fried in an appam pan using very little oil. Thereafter the koftas are dunked in tomat gravy. Little ketchup is added which balances the tanginess of tomatoes. To give a body to the gravy gram flour is used. The dish is finished with powdered dried fenugreek leaves.
Cabbage Kofta Curry Recipe
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
Ingredients for Cabbage Kofta Curry
To make gravy
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp gram flour (Besan)
4 medium-sized tomatoes, pureed
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
Salt to taste
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi)
View the recipe of cabbage kofta here.
How to make gravy
- Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add 2 tsp gram flour (besan). Cook on low flame till raw smell goes and besan turns aromatic.
- Add puree of 4 tomatoes.
- Cook till the oil oozes.
- Add dry spices, i.e. 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, salt to taste etc. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 tbsp tomato ketchup. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add 1 and ½ cup water. Let it simmer.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add 1 tsp powdered dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi).
- At the time of serving, add cabbage kofta and simmer on low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Check seasoning and consistency. Serve with hot chapattis and kachumber raita. Bon appétit.
- You can garnish cabbage kofta curry with some chopped coriander leaves.
- You can add heavy cream for a richer version of the recipe.
- You can flavor cabbage kofta with fennel seeds (saunf)