Chana Masala Restaurant Style recipe with step by step pictures
What is Chana Masala Restaurant Style?
Chana Masala Restaurant Style is a preparation of chickpeas cooked in a flavourful onion tomato based gravy. It has the heat of spices, the tanginess of dried pomegranate seeds (anaardana) and dried mango powder (amchur), the punch of ginger, garlic and chilli. Chana Masala Restaurant Style can be served with instant bhatura or jeera rice. Yes this recipe doesn’t go we ll with simple chapati or paratha However there is another chana recipe on the blog i.e. best ever chana masala recipe that can be served with simple chapati and still it would taste divine. Believe me whenever I have made chana using this recipe, people have ended up asking me “is this recipe on the blog? we loved it”.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Chana Masala Restaurant Style
What is it that makes a gravy restaurant like? Smoothness, flavours and perfection! And all these are found in this recipe. First things first. Chickpeas should be properly soaked and boiled. For smoothness the main ingredients are pureed and used. And the flavours have been introduced with a help of a handful of whole spices. This recipe is a blend of texture and flavours.
Recipe for Chana Masala Restaurant Style
A simple and easy recipe for a popular dish
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||30-40 minutes|
|Total time||40-50 minutes|
Ingredients for Chana Masala Restaurant Style
- 1 and 1/2 cup chickpeas (chana) soaked for 8-10 hours
- 1 teabag
- 5-6 cups water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 2 medium sized onions roughly chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 pod garlic roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger roughly chopped
- 1 green chiili roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried pomegranate powder (anardaana powder)
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder (saunth powder)
- Salt to taste
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks (dal cheeni)
- 2 black cardamoms (badi elaichi)
- 4 green cardamom (chhoti elaichi)
- 1/2 piece of nutmeg (jaiphal)
- 8 peppercorns (sabut kali mirchi)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi)
How to make Chana Masala Restaurant Style
- To boil the chickpeas, pressure cooks the chickpeas in sufficient water with salt to taste and a tea bag for 10-12 whistles (the cooking time varies as per the chickpeas, so cook accordingly).
Let the pressure release and keep the boiled chickpeas aside.
To make the fresh garam masala, dry roast 2 pieces of cinnamon sticks (dal cheeni), 2 black cardamoms (badi Elaichi), 4 green cardamoms (chhoti elaichi), 1/2 piece of nutmeg (Jaiphal), 8 peppercorns (sabut kali mirchi), 6 cloves (laung) and 2 tsp coriander seeds till aromatic.
Let it cool.
Powder it in a mortar/grinder and keep aside.
To prepare the gravy, heat 2 tbsp oil.
Add 3 medium sized chopped onions.
Cook till they turn translucent.
Add 1 pod chopped garlic, 1 inch piece of chopped ginger, 1 chopped green chilli.
Add 3 medium chopped tomatoes.
Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Take the mixture on a plate and let it cool.
- Once it cools, grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Add 1 bay leaf.
Add the grinded mixture.
Cook till the oil oozes out.
Add 1 tsp dried pomegranate powder, 1 tsp amchoor powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder and 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder and salt to taste (remember the chickpeas already have salt). Cook for 1 minute.
Add 2 tbsp water and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the boiled chickpeas. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Add water as per your choice of consistency.
Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder
- Add juice of 1 lemon.
- Garnish with a handful of crushed dried fenugreek leaves.
- Bon appétit.
- You can use fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
- You can adjust the spices as per your taste.
Watch video recipe of Chana Masala Restaurant Style
User Review( votes)