Makhana kheer recipe with step by step pictures and a recipe video
What is Makhana Kheer?
Makhana kheer is a kheer i.e. pudding prepared using lotus seeds i.e. makhana and dry fruits. Enriched with dry fruits and nuts, flavoured with saffron, makhana kheer is an exotic kheer that can be prepared during festivals or for special occasions. It is a falahari kheer and therefore can be prepared during fasts too. Do try this recipe as it is
- recipe for festivals
- dessert recipe for fasts
Let’s talk about the Ingredients for Makhana Kheer
Makhana Kheer recipe is a
- Recipe using Makhana (lotus seeds): Lotus seeds have many health benefits and makhana kheer is certainly a delicious way to include them in the diet. To give some density to kheer I have crushed half of the makhana. And to give a bite to kheer I halved some and kept few as a whole. Makhana has been roasted in ghee to maximize the flavor and texture.
- Other ingredients: Lots of dry fruits have been added to makhana kheer. The dry fruits have been roasted in little ghee to maximize the flavour and give a nice bite. Apart from that, indispensable for any kheer recipe, milk and sugar have been added.
Makhana Kheer Recipe
Ingredients for Makhana Kheer Recipe
- 1 tbsp clarified butter or ghee
- 2 tbsp broken cashew (Kaju tudka)
- 2 tbsp raisins (kishmish)
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 and 1/2 cup lotus seeds (Phool makhana)
- 4 cups or 1 liter milk
- Few saffron strands (Kesar dhaga) soaked in warm milk
- 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup sugar
- A handful of pista slices for garnish
How to make Makhana Kheer
- Roast all nuts and dry fruits in ghee
Heat 1 tbsp ghee. Add 2 tbsp broken cashews. Cook till golden. Add 2 tbsp raisins. Cook till puffs up. Add 2 tbsp shredded coconut. Cook till aromatic. Add 1 and ½ cup makhana. Cook till crisp and lightly golden.
- Simmer milk and crush and cut makhana
Add 4 cups milk. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Coarsely crush half of the roasted makhana. Leave a handful of makhana as a whole. Halve the remaining makhana.
- Add makhana and cook
Add crushed, halved and whole makhana. Cook till reduced to half or as per the desired consistency.
- Add saffron and sugar and cook
Add few saffron strands soaked in lukewarm milk. Add ¼ cup sugar. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Bon appétit
Serve makhana kheer for Diwali dinner with Matar paneer and Kesar poori.
- You can roast nuts without ghee, though the texture would differ
- A quantity of sugar can be adjusted as per your taste
Watch recipe video of how to make Makhana Kheer