Khandvi is prepared using gram flour (besan) and other easily available ingredients such as yogurt etc. Khandvi is rolled and thereafter tempered with sesame seeds and mustard seeds. It is garnished with lots of fresh coriander. It is a very healthy dish which can be served for breakfast/tea-time or can also be packed for tiffin.
Gram flour (besan): Regular gram flour is used to make khandvi.
Yogurt: Dahi is used to make the batter for khandvi.
Water: Khandvi recipe is all about the correct proportion of gram flour, yogurt, and water.
Tempering: Mustard seeds (raie) and sesame seeds are used to temper khandvi.
1. Grease the back side of 3 full plates. Keep the spatula ready.
2. In a bowl take 3/4 cup gram flour.
3. Add 1 cup water.
4. Add 3/4 cup curd
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
7. Add a pinch of asafoetida, 1 tsp ginger chilli paste and mix everything.
8. Add this mixture in a broad pan.
9. Cook the mixture on low to medium flame for 8-10 minutes.
10. Once it appears cooked, test the khandvi.
11. To test it, spread a spoonful and see if it rolls? If it rolls, it’s done. If it sticks to the plate and doesn’t roll, it’s undercooked. If it rolls but breaks it’s overcooked.
12. Once done, spread it on the greased plates.
13. Let it cool and then cut into strips.
14. Fold a little.
15. Roll. Folding makes the rolling easy and neat.
16. To make the tempering, heat 3 tsp oil.
17. Add 1 and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
18. Add 1 and 1/2 tsp sesame seeds.
19. Add a pinch of heeng.
20. Let it crackle.
21. Pour over the khandvi.
22. Garnish with a handful of chopped coriander.
23. Bon appétit.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback