Imli Ki Chutney Recipe with step by step Pictures
What is Tamarind Chutney?
Tamarind chutney is a sauce made using seedless tamarind and jaggery. This simple sauce is sweet as well as tangy and is flavoured with lots of spices such as roasted cumin seeds powder, garam masala powder, black pepper powder, black salt etc. Tamarind chutney is indispensable for chaats and snacks such as samosa etc.
Let’s talk about the Ingredients for Tamarind Chutney
Tamarind chutney recipe calls for
- seedless tamarind: seedless tamarind is easily available in the stores. As such even tamarind pulp is easily available which could fasten the process but I like to use tamarind for making this chutney. Tamarind needs to be soaked in enough warm water.
- jaggery: tamarind makes this chutney tangy and jaggery makes it sweet. the quantity of jaggery can be adjusted as per taste. This recipe will give you a sweeter chutney.
- other spices: tamarind chutney is flavoured with roasted cumin seeds powder, red chili powder, and many more spices and each spice compliments tamarind chutney very well.
Ingredients for Imli ki Chutney
- 100 g tamarind (Imli)
- 300 g jaggery (gud )or as per taste
- 2 tsp roasted cumin (jeera)seeds
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp black salt (Kala namak)
How to make Imli ki Chutney
- Take 100 g tamarind (imli)
- Soak in 2 cups warm water
- For 15-20 minutes
- After 15 minutes tamarind turn absolutely soft
- Put in a strainer
- Mash it to get the pulp
- Pulp is ready
- Now add 300 g jaggery in pulp and put vessel on a medium gas flame and cook till jaggery melts
- Check the consistency, if you fell requirement of adding water then add water and cook for 2 minutes
- To finish off add 2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder, 1/2 tsp red chili powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala, 1/4 tsp black salt and add salt to taste
- Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Bon Appetit Serve tamarind chutney with Aloo Tikki Chaat
- you can add dried ginger (saunth)
- you can add dry fruits such as raisins, cashews etc