A scumptious delicacy prepared with so much ease. Creamy and delicious Dal Bukhara Recipe.
Dal Bukhara Recipe… our favourite pick on the menu of ITC Rajputana. Till one day when here I found a blogger talking I mean writing about dal bukhara… ITC style. Well even if I wasn’t a fan of Dal Bukhara at ITC I would have tried this recipe because I am attracted to recipes which make a statement.
If you are regular at handfulofflavours you must be knowing the categories of recipes, i.e. the kind recipes such as malai pyaaz, the independent recipes such as pindi chole. Dal Bukhara falls in the category of independent recipes and it falls so badly that it breaks all its bones (emoji pad has a broken heart not broken bones). You know what I mean. And for those who don’t, I’ll explain. Independent recipes are the ones which do not keep calling us. They prepare on their own without any/much efforts from us. Yes, this Recipe of Dal Bukhara is a very independent. Not even a tadka (tempering) goes into it.
Dal Bukhara has a tomato base with the flavours of ginger and garlic and lots and lots of butter and cream. Yes and you cannot compromise on that. I am working on low calorie dal makhni… but with Dal Bukhara I am not even trying to make a low cal version. I guess if that’s done Dal Bukhara will lose what I love it for… its statement.
1. Pressure cook 1 and 1/2 cup soaked urad dal with salt to taste and 4-5 cups of water for 15-20 minutes on low flame after 1 whistle or for 15-20 whistles.
2. Once the steam releases add 4 pureed tomatoes, 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 6-7 tbsp butter and 6-7 tbsp cream, 1-2 cups of water and salt to the boiled dal.
3. And let it simmer, stirring occasionally.
4. Simmer for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hour.
5. After 1 and 1/2 hours, check the consistency and seasoning. Add water /salt if needed.
6. Add 1/2 tsp garam masala powder. Garnish with 1 tbsp cream.
7. Bon appétit.
PREP TIME 8-10 hours + 10 minutes
COOK TIME 2 hours
TOTAL TIME 12 hours +10 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback