Meethi boondi is a deep fried tiny ball made up of gram flour which is absolutely juicy and sweet. Meethi boondi is often distributed as prasad in temples etc. Boondi is a Rajasthani snack food made from sweetened, fried chickpea flour. Certainly, it is not the easiest dessert to make. The perfect texture and shape are a bit tricky to achieve. However, in the recipe, few tips and tricks have been explained which can make the task easy.
Gram Flour (besan): Although I have seen recipes using thick gram flour to make meethi boondi, I couldn’t make proper boondi with thick gram flour. Therefore I have used the regular one.
Sugar Syrup: To make juicy meethi boondi, it is important to use correct sugar syrup. Also, it is essential to leave boondi in the syrup for 10-12 hours.
Other ingredients: Other than the above-mentioned ingredients, water and garnishing are required. The ratio of water has been well-explained in the recipe and should be followed.
Other similar recipes on the blog:
1. Heat 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp water.
2. Add 1/2 cup less 2 tsp sugar. Basically the ratio of sugar to water is 1:3/4. The water is 3/4 of the sugar.
3. Keep the flame high and cook till the sugar dissolves.
4. We don’t want any string in the syrup. Once the sugar has dissolved keep stirring and cook for another 2 minutes on high flame. Keep the sugar syrup aside.
5. In a bowl take 1/2 cup gram flour (besan).
6. Add 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup water. Again the water is 3/4 of the gram flour.
7. Make an absolutely smooth batter.
8. Add a pinch of saffron food colouring. This step is optional.
9. Add 2 tsp oil.
10. Mix properly.
11. Heat enough oil.
12. Keep the ladle 1”-1.5” inch above the oil.
13. Pour a spoonful of batter to check that the boondi drop easily on its own and they are round and not tailed/flat.
14. Then add a batch for frying. Fry the boondis till they sizzle.
15. Once they stop sizzling take them out.
16. Prepare all the boondis.
17. Add the boondis to the sugar syrup.
18. Mix them properly. Keep them for 10-12 hours. Mix them once in every 2-3 hours.
19. Keep mixing on regular intervals.
20. By the end of 10-12 hours, the sugar syrup would have been absorbed by the boondis. Garnish handful of chopped pistachios.
21. Bon appétit!
PREP TIME 10-12 hours + 20 minutes
COOK TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 10-12 hours + 40 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback