A pancake loaded with lots of vegetables made of semolina (rava) is instant rava uttapam. As such uttapam is prepared using soaked rice and lentils, this is however an instant recipe for the same and therefore it uses semolina (sooji). Being instant, it is quick to make and also allows a lot of customisation as regarding the toppings i.e. the vegetables. At times when am short of all the fresh vegetables I make onion uttapam, which has its own charm.
Well it is a very simple recipe… so simple that I wasn’t too sure whether I should put it up or not. Also I am not very happy with the pictures of dish. Still I am going ahead with this. The base…has semolina and yogurt. I have seasoned it with black pepper. You may also use ginger, green chillies etc. The toppings… add or omit vegetables as per your choice. I have used onions, tomatoes, cabbage, carrot, peas, and lots of coriander. You can also add some grated cheese to please to little ones in the house. Well why just the little ones? Cheese pleases everyone.
1. Take 1 cup semolina
2. Add 1/2 cup yogurt.
3. Mix well.
4. Leave it for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes add 1/4 cup water.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Add 1/2 tsp fruit salt (eno).
8. Add 1/4 tsp black pepper powder.
9. Check the consistency. It should neither be too thick nor too thin.
10. Heat a pan.
11. Add few drops of oil.
12. Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter.
13. Add handful of chopped vegetables and coriander.
14. Press the vegetables slightly.
15. Cook till the the bottom turns golden brown. You can also flip it and cook from the other side. But I like the vegetables bright and colourful so I avoid doing that.
16. Take on a perforated plate to avoid a soggy bottom.
17. Bon appétit
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 15 minutes
1. In a bowl mix 1 cup sooji, 1/2 cup curd and leave it for 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes add 1/4 cup water, salt to taste, 1/4 tsp black pepper powder and 1/2 tsp fruit salt.
3. Heat a pan and add few drops of oil.
4. Pour spoonful of batter.
5. Add handful of chopped vegetables and coriander.
6. Press the vegetable slightly.
7. Cover with a lid and let it cook.
8. Once done, serve with chutney.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback