Dalia Pulao recipe with step by step pictures
What is Dalia Pulao?
Dalia pulao is broken wheat pulao or cracked wheat pulao. Dalia pulao recipe is a preparation of broken wheat and vegetables. Dalia has lots of health benefits as it is very nutritious and fibrous. And the good news is that it helps in losing weight. Dalia, being high in fiber, keeps full for long. There are a number of vegetable dalia pulao recipes. And this one is my favourite dalia pulao recipe. Frankly speaking I am not fond of dalia, and when I say this one is my favourite I mean even I relish this vegetable dalia pulao recipe.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for dalia pulao recipe:
Broken wheat pulao calls for broken wheat (obviuosly). The interesting part about this vegetable dalia pulao recipe is that dalia and vegetables are first cooked separately and then combined and cooked. You can add in the vegetables of your choice. In this dalia pulao recipe carrots, peas, cauliflower and tomatoes have been used. Cracked wheat pulao should be cooked in clarified butter i.e. ghee for maximum flavour. Some variations to the vegetable dalia pulao recipe have been given in the suggestions section that follows the how to make dalia pulao part.
DALIA PULAO RECIPE
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
Ingredients for Dalia Pulao Recipe
1 cup broken wheat (dalia)
3 cups water
Salt to taste
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 pinch asafetida (heeng)
½ cup cauliflower, chopped
¼ cup carrot, chopped
½ cup peas,
1 tsp ginger chilli paste
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
Handful of chopped coriander leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to make Dalia Pulao
- Heat ½ tsp clarified butter (ghee).
- Add 1 cup broken wheat (dalia).
- Roast on low flame till it turns brown and aromatic.
- Add 3 cups water.
- Add ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook on high flame till 1 whistle. There after cook for 2-3 minutes. Let the pressure release. Dalia should be absolutely soft. Keep aside for now.
- In another pan heat the remaining clarified butter.
- Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) and a pinch of asafetida (heeng) and cook till aromatic.
- Add vegetables i.e. ½ cup chopped cauliflower, ¼ cup chopped carrots, ½ cup peas and a pinch of salt. (Tip: Little salt helps in faster cooking of the vegetables). Cook till vegetables turn a bit soft but remain crunchy.
- Add 1 tsp ginger chilli paste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes.
- Cook till they turn soft.
- Add cooked dalia.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Add juice of 1 lemon. Mix well with a light hand.
- Finish off with ¼ tsp black pepper powder.
- Serve hot with yogurt. Bon appétit.
- You can add in a chopped onion in the tempering.
- You can add vegetables such as potatoes, capsicum, french beans etc.
- You can use tomato puree instead of chopped tomatoes.