Makai Dhokla Recipe with step by step pictures
What is Makai Dhokla?
Makai dhokla is a flavourful steamed cake made with corn meal (makai ka aata). It has soft but firm texture and has strong flavour of sesame oil, spring onions, green garlic etc. It is a healthy and gluten free recipe. Makai ka dhokla belongs to Rajasthani cuisine and is relished during winters. Makai dhokla can be served for lunch or dinner with yogurt, garlic chilli chutney or dal.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Makai Dhokla Recipe
It calls for makai ka aata i.e. corn meal. To introduce softness to the dhokla baking soda is added. Sesame oil is highly recommended for delectable makai dhokla. However you can add sesame seeds for the flavour. As regards the veggies, I have added spring onions and green garlic. You can add any greens of your choice, be it coriander, spinach, green peas etc. Lemon juice not only gives a nice kick to the makai dhokla but also helps in the activation of baking soda which makes them soft.
MAKAI DHOKLA RECIPE
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||25 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
Ingredients for Makai Dhokla Recipe
1 cup corn meal (makai ka aata)
Salt to taste
1 tsp coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
½ tsp red chilli powder
2 pinch asafetida (heeng)
Handful of chopped coriander
1 green chilli, chopped
½ cup chopped spring onions (hara pyaaz)
2-3 green garlic (hara lehsun), chopped
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sesame oil (til ka tel) + oil for brushing dhokla
2 tsp lemon juice
Water as much required
How to make Makai Dhokla
- In a mixing bowl take 1 cup corn meal (makai ka aata). Add salt to taste, ½ tsp red chilli powder, 2 pinch asafetida (heeng), 1 tsp whole coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya), 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf), handful of chopped coriander leaves, 1 chopped green chilli. Mix everything.
- Add ½ tsp baking soda, ½ cup chopped spring onion (hara pyaaz), 2-3 chopped green garlic (hara lehsun), 1 tbsp sesame oil (til ka tel), 2 tsp lemon juice. Mix well.
- Add in water gradually and make dough, as the dough for chapattis.
- Take a portion of the dough. Shape it round. Flatten it. Make a thumb impression in the center. (Basically shape dhoklas as doughnuts).
- Steam dhoklas for 20-25 minutes.
- Check by inserting a toothpick or knife. It should come out clean.
- Brush with some sesame oil.
- Serve makai dhokla hot with dal tadka, green chuntey and lehsun ki chutney.
- You can temper the dhoklas with mustard seeds etc.
- You can add in the vegetables of your choice.
- You can adjust the spices as per your taste.