Coconut chutney recipe with step by step pictures
What is coconut chutney?
Very flavorful and refreshing chutney, indispensable accompaniment of various South Indian dishes, is coconut chutney. This recipe for coconut chutney is very easy and simple with a slight twist that enhances its flavor much more. I would not say that coconut chutney can be served with idli, dosa etc, I would say coconut chutney has to be served with these South Indian delicacies.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for South Indian coconut chutney recipe
Keeping it simple I have used minimal ingredients for this recipe. Fresh coconut, peanuts, ginger, and green chilies have been used. A simple tempering of mustard seeds and dry red chilies add the required kick. The tempering has been used in a very interesting way. Instead of pouring it on the chutney, the same has been added along with other ingredients and ground to make a flavorful chutney.
Coconut Chutney Recipe
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||2 minutes|
|Total time||12 minutes|
|Serves/Makes||1 cup chutney|
Ingredients for Coconut Chutney Recipe
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts (moongfali)
- 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp oil
- A handful of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 broken dry whole red chili
- Water as much required
How to make Coconut Chutney Recipe
- In a grinding jar add 1 cup grated fresh coconut, 1-inch ginger and 1 green chili roughly chopped, 1 tbsp roasted peanuts, salt to taste and juice of ½ a lemon.
- Heat 1 tsp oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle add curry leaves and 1 dry whole red chili. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tempering to the grinding jar.
- Add water as much required to get the correct consistency. Grind to a smooth chutney.
- Bon appétit!
- Serving Ideas: Serve coconut chutney with instant rava idli, dal vada etc.
- You can also add cumin seeds (jeera) in the tempering for flavor.