Dough for Gujiya
Gujiya is a sweet dumpling with a crisp crust and a delicious stuffing. So basically a Gujiya has 2 components
I will discuss the fillings in my forthcoming posts on Gujiya. Here, let’s talk about the crust of Gujiya, how it should be and the way to make it the way it should be! The outer of the Gujiya has got to be
And the shell of the gujiya should remain so, till the last bite of gujiya. It should not turn dry or hard after some time. All these things can be taken care of with the perfect dough. Yes, the correct dough would ensure perfect gujiya.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for dough for gujiya
All-purpose flour is used for gujiya dough. Enough quantity of moyan i.e. oil/ghee is indispensable to make the final product flaky. I use ghee as moyan for gujiya. Heat the ghee before adding to make the dough. It helps to maintain the freshness of the crust of gujiya. Unlike for samosas, we have to knead a semi-soft dough for gujiya.
Also on the blog is the dough for parathas. View the recipe here. Few gujiya recipes coming up using the perfect dough for gujiya are mawa gujiya, gajar gujiya, coconut gujiya and more.
How to make dough for Gujiya
|Preparation time||30 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
|Serves/Makes||Dough for 20 gujiya|
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- ¼ cup warm clarified butter/ghee
- Water as much required
Steps to make the gujiya dough
- In a mixing bowl or paraat, take 2 cups all-purpose flour. Add ¼ cup melted and warm ghee (if it is warm, it has to be melted… still!).
- Mix flour and ghee well. It would crumbly. Add water gradually.
- Make the semi-soft dough.
- Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, knead for 1 minute.
- Smoothen it.
- Make the best of Gujiya.
- You can add a pinch of salt to the dough mixture.
- You can use oil instead of ghee, however, ghee gives the best results.