Sabudana khichadi recipe with step by step pictures
What is Sabudana Khichadi?
A light and delicious dish made using sago pearls is sabudana khichadi. It is simple and subtle but very flavourful. It has tanginess of lemon juice, freshness of coriander seeds, awesome taste and bite of peanuts. The best part about sabudana khichadi is that it can be consumed during fasts. Sabudana can be tricky at times, therefore this recipe explains all the things that should be kept in mind while making sabudana khichadi recipe.
Let’s talk about Sabudana Khichadi Recipe
Sabudana khichadi is a tricky dish because sabudana is tricky in itself. However by soaking and cooking it properly, we can get it right. However about the recipe; the seasoning… you can add some fried peanuts, pomegranate seeds, grated coconut etc. Indespensable part of sabudana recipes (most of them) is peanuts. In this recipe also peanuts have been used. Following things should be kept in mind while making sabudan khichadi:- Other sabudana recipes are sabudana vada and sago balls. These are crisp patties made using sabudana. Find the recipe here. Other recipe is an interesting kids’ tiffin recipe. We call it sago balls. Find the recipe for sago balls here.
- Wash it properly. To do so take sabudana in a colander and run under cold water till you see clear water.
- Soak it in just enough water that the sabudana gets soaked.
- Soaking time totally depends on the quality of sabudana. Some are done in 3-4 hours, some take longer. If you know your sabudana well soak accordingly otherwise soak the sabudana overnight.
- Away do the smash test before using sabudana. Take a pearl and mash between the finger tips. It should mash completely.
- Before use, spread on a kitchen towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Don’t cut down the quantity of peanuts.
- Don’t add too much oil.
- After adding all the ingredients continue to cook the sabudana khichadi till the sabudana turns transculent.
- Don’t cover while cooking.
Sabudana Khichadi Recipe
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||25 minutes|
Ingredients for Sabudana Khichadi
- 1 cup sago (sabudana)
- 3/4 cup roasted peanuts (moongfali)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 medium size potatoes diced
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Salt/rock salt as per taste
- 1 chopped and fried green chilli
- Handful of fried raisins
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Handful of chopped coriander
How to make Sabudan Khichadi
- Wash sago very nicely.
Soak it in water. The water level should be just above sago. Do not add excess water.
Leave it overnight.
After 3-4 hours, just shuffle the soaked sago using a fork.
Spread on a neat and tidy kitchen towel for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, coarsely grind 3/4 cup of roasted peanuts. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let it crackle.
Add 2 diced potatoes.
Cover and cook till the potatoes turn soft.
Add the ground peanuts. Cook it for 2-3 minutes or till well incorporated/mixed.
Add 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
Add salt/rock salt as per taste.
Add 1/2 tsp black pepper powder.
Cook the sabudana khichdhi till the sabudana turns translucent.
Add 1 tsp lemon juice.
Garnish with handful of chopped coriander.
And fried green chilli and raisins.
Serve hot or warm with coconut chutney. Bon appétit!
Watch Video – Sabudana Khichadi Recipe | How to make Sabudana Khichadi – Vini’s