Dum aloo means baby potatoes simmered and cooked in gravy. This preparation varies from state to state. Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a delicious baby potato preparation from the state of Jammu Kashmir in India. Fried baby potatoes cooked in a spicy and flavourful gravy prepared using mustard oil, has a distinct flavour and is absolutely divine. It has flavours of fennel seeds, dry ginger powder.
Dum aloo can be served with Jeera rice, biryani, parathas, and raita.
strong>Kashmiri dum aloo recipe is a
Recipe using baby potatoes – Dum aloo is best prepared using baby potatoes. However, you may use the regular potatoes and halve or quarter them. I too did not have baby potatoes, so I used the smaller ones from the regular lot. I have shallow fried baby potatoes in less oil. You can at par-boil, bake or deep fry the potatoes to cook them.
Gravy – The gravy for Kashmiri Dum Aloo is a yoghurt based gravy. Distinct ingredients go in Kashmiri Dum Aloo. Mustard oil is used. Apart from that fennel seeds, cloves etc are added.
1.Wash 6-8 small potatoes, peel them and with the help of a fork or toothpick prick the potatoes
2. Soak pricked potaotes in salted water for 15-20 minutes
3. Thereafter shallow fry potaotes, till almost soft
4. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp red chilli powder and stir and cook till potatoes become of light golden brown
5. Take out all shallow fried potatoes in a plate and keep aside
1. In a small bowl add remaining red chilli powder, 1/4 cup water and mix
2. Whisk 1/2 cup yogurt till smooth and add 1 tsp cornflour
3. In a small bowl add 1 tsp fennel powder, 1/2 tsp ginger powder and 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
4. Now add a mixture of fennel, cardamom, and ginger powder in yogurt and mix well
1. Heat a fry pan on medium gas flame and add 3 tbsp oil in a pan. Heat it to smoking point. Thereafter let it cool down
2. Add 4 clove powder and one pinch of asafetida in hot oil
3. Add chilli paste and stir
4. Add yogurt mix and cook
5. Stir and saute continuously oil oozes out
6. Add 1/3 cup water and cook till water starts boiling
7. Add fried potatoes in the gravy and salt to taste
8. Now cover fry pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes on a low flame. Check the seasoning and consistency
9. Bon Appetit Finish off Kashmiri Dum Aloo with 1/2 tsp cumin seeds powder and 1 tsp garam masala powder. Serve with jeera rice
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback