Cheese Malai Kofta recipe with step by step pictures
What is cheese malai kofta?
Cheese malai kofta is melt in mouth dumplings which have oozing cheese along with the flavours of black and white pepper and kick of red chilli flakes, cooked in flavorsome and smooth gravy. Cheese malai kofta can be served with butter naan or lachcha paratha etc. Cheese kofta is one kofta that is sure to please one and all, be it kids or adults. And always make some extra koftas as some are sure to go in the stomach before going in the gravy.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Cheese Malai Kofta Recipe
For cheese kofta boiled and grated potatoes and crumbled cottage cheese (paneer) have been used. To give binding to the koftas corn flour has been used. The koftas have been flavored with black and white pepper which complements the cheese stuffed in the koftas. For the gravy of cheese malai kofta onions and tomatoes have been used. The gravy has been flavored with ginger and garlic. Apart from that cashews and heavy cream add much richness to Cheese Malai Kofta.
How to make Cheese Malai Kofta
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||45 minutes|
|Total time||60 minutes|
Ingredients for Cheese Malai Kofta
To make koftas
1 cup mashed potato
½ cup mashed cottage cheese (paneer)
1 tsp red chili flakes
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper corns (sabut kali mirch)
½ tsp white pepper powder
2 tbsp corn flour + corn flour to roll koftas
Processed cheese cubes
Oil for frying
To make gravy
2 tbsp oil
1 cup onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
1 inch ginger, chopped
¼ cup broken cashew (kaju tukda)
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp coriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ cup water
¼ cup yogurt (dahi), well whisked
¼ cup heavy cream or as much required
1 tbsp fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
How to make cheese malai kofta
To make kofta
- Collect all ingredients for kofta except oil, i.e. 1 cup boiled and mashed potatoes, ½ cup mashed cottage cheese (paneer), salt to taste, 1 tsp red chilli flakes, ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper and ½ tsp white pepper powder and 2 tbsp corn flour. (Tip: Be careful while adding salt as we will be stuffing the koftas with cheese which is quite salty.)
- Mix everything well and form a kind of dough.
- Take a portion of mixture and spread it and place a cube of processed cheese .
- Seal and form a ball. Roll the ball in corn flour.
- Heat enough oil. Fry koftas on medium flame turning occasionally for even cooking, till they are golden brown.
To make gravy
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 cup chopped onions.
- Cook till onions turn translucent.
- Add 4-5 garlic cloves and cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup chopped tomatoes. Add in little salt. (Tip: Salt helps in cooking the tomatoes fast).
- Cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add ¼ cup broken cashews, 1 inch chopped ginger and 2-3 green chillies. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down. Transfer to grinder jar.
- Make a fine and smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter. (Tip: Do not heat the butter on high flame, it would burn. Else add 1 tsp oil and then add butter, this will prevent burning of butter).
- Add spices i.e. 1 tsp red chilli powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp garam masala powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder. Cook on low flame for 30 seconds.
- Add prepared paste.
- Cook till oil oozes.
- Add ¼ cup whisked yogurt.
- Cook till oil oozes. (Tip: It is important to cook yogurt properly. If it remains undercooked the taste of gravy will be ruined.)
- Add ¼ cup water or as much required.
- Add salt to taste. Check seasoning and consistency.
- Add 1/4 cup heavy cream.
- Add 1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves.
- For serving, add koftas to gravy and simmer for two minutes. This will help the cheese melt.
- Serve hot with garlic butter naan. Bon appétit.
- You can use mozzarella cheese instead of processed cheese. Keep a check on the size of cube used as filling, it should be too big.
- Instead of cubes you can grate cheese and make small balls.
- To balance the flavors of the gravy you can add little sugar or ketchup in the gravy.
- You can reduce the qunatity of heavy cream, as per taste and daily calories budget ;).