Soya Matar kebab with step by step pictures
What is soya Matar Kebab?
Kebab is basically a dish made with the meat of mutton or lamb. But we talk vegetarian, so we will be making some veg kebabs having same flavors and texture. Crispy exterior, melt in mouth interior, just as kebabs should be! The recipe uses soya granules and fresh green peas as the main ingredients. It has strong flavors of garlic, ginger and green chilies plus garam masala powder. It has the nuttiness of roasted gram flour. Although fried in very little oil, soya matar kebab is absolutely crisp. Soya matar kebabs can be served as a party appetizer or a healthy snack.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for soya matar kebab
Properly boiled soya granules and fresh green peas form the base of soya matar kebabs. These kebabs have the typical kick and flavor of kebabs which they derive from ginger, garlic, green chilies, onion etc. Lots of fresh coriander leaves are added. Roasted gram flour not only gives the necessary binding to the kebabs but also helps them be crisp without much oil and add a great taste to the soya matar kebab.
Another kebab recipe on the blog is hara bhara kebab. This too is a very healthy kebab made with lots of greens. View the recipe here. I would also like to share a very quick and easy party starter i.e. healthy veggie shots. View its recipe here.
Let’s have a look at these soya matar kebabs!
Soya Matar Kebab Recipe
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
Ingredients for Soya Matar Kebab
- ¾ cup soya granules
- Salt to taste
- ¾ cup green peas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 1 green chili, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, cleaned and washed
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup roasted gram flour (besan)
- Oil for frying
How to make Soya Matar Kebab
- In a pan heat 2 cups water. Add in a little salt. Let it come to a boil.
- Add ¾ cup soya granules.
- Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Thereafter leave in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain off the hot water and pour cold water on it.
- Squeeze off the excess water altogether and transfer to a grinder jar.
- In another pan heat 1 and ½ cup water. Add in a little salt. Let it simmer.
- Add ¾ cup peas.
- Boil on low flame for 5-6 minutes or till soft. Thereafter drain off the hot water and pour cold water.
- Transfer peas to the grinder jar.
- Add in 1 chopped green chili, 6-8 garlic cloves, and 1-inch piece of ginger.
- Grind to a coarse mixture.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add in 1 chopped onion and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves.
- Spice it up with salt to taste, 1 tsp red chili powder and ½ a tsp of garam masala powder.
- Add our star, .e. ½ cup roasted gram flour (besan).
- Mix everything well. Take lemon size balls and shape them into kebabs. Do not make too thick.
- Drizzle little oil on a pan.
- Fry them on medium flame till golden brown from both the sides.
- Serve hot. Bon appétit!
- Meal Idea: Serve soya matar kebabs with tandoori chutney and lachcha pyaaz.
- You can add up to 1 tsp garam masala powder.
- Do not add any chaat masala. It will ruin the flavors of soya matar kebabs.
- Sprinkle little Kashmiri red chili powder for a more tempting look.
- For roasted gram flour, just take 1/2 cup gram flour in a pan. Roast on low flame for 5-6 minutes till the raw smell goes ie. there is a nutty aroma.