Palak paratha recipe with step by step pictures
What is Palak Paratha?
Palak paratha is a pretty green flatbread made using whole wheat flour and spinach flavoured with carom seeds (ajwain), ginger, chillies, black pepper (kali mirchi) etc. It can be served with gravies and dals for lunch or dinner or with yogurt or chuntey for breakfast. Palak paratha is an easy and delicious way of introducing spinach in your diet.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Palak Paratha
- Spinach: Good quality spinach is the one that has small leaves and is absolutely green. To cook it, I have not boiled it. I just washed it thoroughly and added to a pan. Covered it and let it cook for 4-5 minutes or till the leaves were soft. Spinach itself has enough water. Thereafter I just transferred it in cold water. This helps to retain its green colour.
- Other ingredients: Palak paratha is prepared using whole wheat flour. For flavouring carom seeds, ginger, chillies and black pepper are added which complement the taste of spinach.
- For frying: Ghee or oil can be used. As such no fat is applied inside the parathas. They are simply rolled and fried. I prefer to use oil unless I eating the palak parathas hot, just off the pan.
How to make Palak Paratha
|Preparation time||15 minutes|
|Cooking time||25 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
Ingredients for Palak Paratha Recipe
2 cups spinach leaves tightly packed
1” ginger piece
1 green chilli, slit
6-7 black pepper corn (sabut kali mirch)
2 cups whole wheat flour (aata)
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
1 tsp oil
Salt to taste
Water for kneading, as much required
Oil for frying, as much required
How to make Palak Paratha
- Put washed spinach leaves in a pan.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes or till the leaves turn soft. (Do not add water).
- Transfer spinach leaves to cold water.
- Transfer the leaves to grinder jar, add 1” ginger, 1 slit green chilli, 6-7 black pepper corns. Grind to make puree.
- In a mixing bowl take 2 cups whole wheat flour, add spinach puree, salt to taste and 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain).
- Knead soft dough using water gradually. (A paratha is as soft as its dough).
- Take a portion. Roll it into paratha. Heat a skillet and put paratha on it.
- Let it cook on medium flame till partly cooked from one side. Flip and cook it partly from the other side. Apply little oil on both the sides. Cook on medium to high flame from both the sides, till brown patches appear.
- Grease with some gheeand crush slightly.
- Serve with tamatar ki chutneyy. Bon appétit.
- You can flavour palak ka paratha with some cumin seeds (jeera), red chilli flakes etc.
- For nice colour add up to ¼ tsp turmeric powder.