Moong Dal cheela recipe with step by step pictures
What is moong dal cheela?
Thin and crisp crepe made up of moong dal flavored with ginger and green chilies is dal cheela. It is light on the belly and nice on the tongue, as in easy to digest and delicious to eat. Perfect moong dal cheela is porous and thin. It can be served with green chutney or tomato ketchup. There are a number of ways to customize it, by stuffing it in different ways or adding different ingredients for the bite and flavor.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Moong Dal Cheela
I have used yellow moong dal for the recipe. Keeping it simple I have flavored it with green chilies and ginger. It compliments the flavor of dal. Rice flour is added to make the cheela crisp and gram flour adds a good flavor and gives a nice texture to moong dal cheela.
Moong Dal Cheela Recipe
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Cooking time||15 minutes|
|Total time||25 minutes|
Ingredients for Moong Dal Cheela Recipe
- 1 cup yellow moong dal (soaked for 4-6 hours)
- 2 green chilies, roughly chopped
- 1-inch ginger, roughly chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp gram flour (besan)
- 1 tbsp rice flour (chawal ka aata)
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Water as required
- Oil for frying
How to make Moong Dal Cheela Recipe
- Put 1 cup soaked moong dal, 2 roughly chopped green chilies and 1-inch roughly chopped ginger in a grinding jar.
- Make a smooth paste. Add water as much required.
- Transfer the ground mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add a handful of chopped coriander leaves, ½ tsp red chili flakes, salt to taste and ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
- Next goes in 2 tbsp gram flour and 1 tbsp rice flour.
- Add water to set the consistency.
- The batter should be flowing. The thick batter won’t make porous cheela.
- Heat a pan and drizzle a few drops of oil.
- Pour batter on the pan.
- Spread well.
- Once it is cooked from one side, flip and cook from the other side too.
- Serve hot. Bon appétit!
- Meal Idea: Serve moong dal cheela with green chutney.
- You can add chopped ginger and green chilies if you like the bite.
- You can add chopped onions for a nice crunch.
- You can add asafetida for flavoring.
- Correct consistency of the batter is critical for perfect dal cheela.