Curd rice recipe with step by step pictures and recipe video
What is Curd Rice?
Tender and cold rice, coated with curd, tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves, having the crunch of fried chana dal and urad dal!!! The freshness of this dish hits my head each time and leaves me wondering how a one-pot meal can be so refreshing as well as filling!? Do try the curd rice recipe as it is a
- One pot recipe
- Recipe with left over rice, other such recipes on the blog are tawa pulao, tomato rice.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Curd Rice Recipe
I generally make curd rice recipe with leftover rice. And if I have planned to make it, I cook the rice few hours before preparing curd rice. Basically, I don’t like the rice mushy but authentic curd rice has mushy rice. In fact, the rice is mashed for preparing this dish.
The yogurt or curd is the second main ingredient. The quantity of curd determines the consistency of the curd rice. Again, I don’t go authentic here… what I mean to say is my curd rice is a bit thicker than how it is supposed to be.
You can also add some veggies to this, such as grated carrot etc. The tempering too can be customized by adding ginger, green chillies, fried dry fruits such as cashews, raisins etc.
Curd rice recipe
|Cooking time||10 minutes|
|Chilling time||2 hours|
|Total time||10 minutes + 2 hours|
Ingredients for Curd Rice Recipe
- 2 cups cooked rice (refrigerated for an hour or more)
- 1 cup whisked yogurt (dahi)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (raie)
- Handful of curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 tsp split and de husked blackdal (urad dal)
- 1 tsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 1 broken whole red chilli
How to make Curd Rice:
In a large bowl mix 2 cup rice and 1 cup yogurt. The rice should be cooked and refrigerated. The yogurt should be well whisked.
Add salt to taste and mix.
In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. (Ignore the cumin seeds, they just got mixed up)
- Add handful of curry leaves.
Add 1 tsp split and dehusked black dal (urad dal) and 1 tsp split chickpeas (chana dal).
- Add 1 broken red chilli.
- Add the tempering to the yogurt rice mix.
- Mix well but gently.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or more.
- Bon appétit: Serve it chilled.
- To ensure the rice don’t get all mushy, I like to use refrigerated rice
- If the dish looks dry, adding some curd will correct the consistency
- To avoid sourness, add little sugar