Rice cooked with lots of tomatoes and some spices and other ingredients which complements the flavour of tomatoes is tomato rice. Tomato rice is very easy and simple to make and at my place, it is one the most popular recipes using leftover rice. It has the flavour of curry leaves, ginger, chillies and spice mix prepared by roasting together coriander seeds, chana dal and urad dal. It gives a very distinct and divine flavour to the dish. Do try tomato rice recipe as it is
Recipe using leftover rice
Healthy rice recipe
Tomato rice recipe calls for rice and tomatoes. Okay, I know that you know that! As regards the rice I have used cooked rice or leftover rice. Yet another awesome recipe using leftover rice is curd rice. As already mentioned lots of tomatoes are used. I have used 3 tomatoes for 2 cups rice. You can use up to 2 tomatoes. Another important ingredient is the powdered mix, which gives a great flavour to the tomato rice.
Other rice recipes on the blog are veg fried rice, gatta rice and more.
1. Dry roast 2 tsp coriander leaves, 2 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal till aromatic.
2. Once it cools down, make a fine powder.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil.
4. Add ½ tsp mustard seeds (raie) and let it crackle.
5. Add 1 sprig of curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add 1 medium sized chopped onion.
7. Cook till translucent.
8. Add 3 medium sized chopped tomatoes.
9. Add spices i.e. ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder and salt to taste. Cook for 30 seconds.
10. Add 1 tsp ginger chilli paste. Cook for 1 minute.
11. Add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves and cook till tomatoes turn mushy.
12. Add 2 cups cooked and refrigerated rice.
13. Add the powdered mix prepared in step 2.
14. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes.
15. Serve tomato rice with mint raita. Bon appétit!
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
• 1 tbsp oil
• ½ tsp mustard seeds
• 1 sprig curry leaves
• 1 medium sized onion, chopped
• 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
• ¼ tsp turmeric powder
• ½-1 tsp red chilli powder
• Salt to taste
• 1 tsp ginger chilli paste
• Handful of finely chopped coriander leaves
• 2 cups cooked rice
For the powder:
• 2 tsp coriander seeds
• 2 tsp chana dal
• 1 tsp urad dal
1. Dry roast 2 tsp coriander leaves, 2 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal till aromatic
2. Once they cool down, make a fine powder
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil
4. Add ½ tsp mustard seeds (raie) and let it crackle
5. Add 1 sprig of curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds
6. Add 1 medium sized chopped onion
7. Cook till translucent
8. Add 3 medium sized chopped tomatoes and cook till mushy
9. Add spices i.e. ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder and salt to taste. Cook for 30 seconds
10. Add 1 tsp ginger chilli paste. Cook for 1 minute
11. Add ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves and cook for 1 minute
12. Add 2 cups cooked and refrigerated rice
13. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes
14. Bon appétit: Serve tomato rice with mint raita
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback