Potato sandwich is basically a sandwich with potato stuffing. It is a super crispy sandwich with a flavourful stuffing. In this recipe, potatoes have been fried with cumin seeds and other spices. The filling is very delicious. The sandwiches have been cooked on a tava or skillet for an absolutely crunchy exterior.
1. Prepare to temper : In a pan heat 2 tsp oil. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds. Let them crackle nicely. Keep the flame low otherwise cumin seeds might burn (obviously). Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder and cook for 10 seconds.
2. Add potatoes and spices and cook : Add boiled potatoes along with 1 tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp garam masala powder, ¾ tsp dry mango powder and salt to taste. Mix everything. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Taste to check the seasoning. Let the mixture cool down.
3. Prepare sandwich : To make a sandwich spread butter on two slices. Spread the potato mixture generously. Pack with another bread slices.
4. Cook sandwich : Heat some oil on a skillet. Put the sandwich on the skillet. Cook on low flame till golden brown and crisp from both the sides.
5. Bon appétit : Serve hot and crisp potato sandwich with tomato ketchup and mint chutney.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
• 8 bread slices
• 4 tsp butter (at room temperature)
• 4 tsp coriander chutney
• 2-3 medium size boiled and mashed potatoes
• Salt to taste
• 1 tsp red chili powder
• 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchoor powder)
• 1 small onion finely chopped
• Handful of chopped coriander
• Butter for cooking sandwiches
1. Prepare the filling
To prepare the filling, in a large bowl take 2-3 boiled and mashed potatoes.
Tip: Mash the potatoes coarsely. It would give a good texture to the filling.
Add salt to taste, 1 tsp red chili powder, 1/2 tsp dried mango powder, 1 small finely chopped onion and handful of chopped coriander.
2. Prepare the bread slices
Trim of the sides of the slices. Apply butter on the slices. Apply green chutney of the slices.
Tip: Applying butter ensures that the bread doesn’t become soggy on the application of chutney.
3. Prepare the sandwich
Apply approximately 1/4 cup potato filling on a bread slice Cover with another bread slice.
Tip: Make sure to fill up to the corners.
4. Cook the sandwich
Heat a skillet. Add very little butter. As it melts place the sandwich on it. Cook till it becomes golden. Thereafter flip and cook from the other side too till its golden.
5. Bon appétit!
Serve aloo sandwich with tomato ketch-up and a cup of coffee.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback