Poha Recipe with step by step pictures and a quick Recipe Video
What is Poha Recipe?
Poha is flattened rice which is one of the most popular breakfast recipes all over India. And the reason for its popularity lies in the ease of its preparation. Okay, not just that… it is easy on the stomach, tastes good even if not served hot, allows customization, doesn’t call for many ingredients and is super delicious to eat.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Poha Recipe
Poha needs poha. I mean obviously, we need poha to make it. Now there is an N number of ways in which poha is made in India. It reminds me of vegetable dum biryani. I prepare poha and toppings separately. This not only makes it super delicious but also gives a choice of customization to everyone. I add onions, potatoes, mint leaves and peanuts to poha. Each of these is deeply fried separately and added later. Poha is garnished with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
Other healthy yet delicious breakfast recipes which you may like :
Team up poha with
Ingredients for Poha
- 3 cups poha
- 2 medium size onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium size potatoes cut into thin wedges
- A handful of fresh mint leaves
- ¼ cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp oil + oil for frying
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- a handful of chopped coriander
- Juice of 2 lemons
How to make poha recipe
1. Fry onions.In a deep pan heat 3-4 tbsp oil or as much required. Add 2 sliced onions. Fry them on low flame till crisp and brown. Keep aside. For that matter, we have to keep all the toppings aside initially.
2. Fry potatoes.In the same hot oil, add 2 sliced potatoes. Cook till golden brown.
3. Fry mint leaves. Now add a handful of mint leaves in that hot oil. Cook till crisp.
4. Fry peanuts. In the same oil, add ¼ cup peanuts. Cook on low flame till crunchy. To check whether peanuts are cooked or not, just drop one in a steel bowl. You will hear a solid sound. If you hear a soft sound, the peanuts need further cooking. Hope I have been able to explain what I meant.
5. Wash and soak poha.To wash poha, take 3 cups poha in a large bowl or colander. And wash it nicely. Thereafter soak it in some water till it is soft. To remove the water, put it in a large colander and let the water drain out.
6. Season poha.Once the poha is drained, take it out in a large plate. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp red chili powder, and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
7. Cook poha.Heat 2 tbsp oil. You may use the same oil you had been using for deep frying. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle add curry leaves. I was short of curry leaves, so couldn’t add them. Add seasoned poha. Cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes.
8. Garnish.S witch off the flame, add a handful of chopped coriander and juice of 2 lemons or 1 large lemon. And mix.
9. Add toppings. Add all the fried toppings and mix everything very well. Here you may customize the topping as per everyone’s preference.
10. Bon appétit.Serve with masala tea.
- You may also add some fried green chilies and coconut flakes.
Watch Video – Poha recipe | how to make Poha recipe