Poha is flattened rice which is one of the most popular breakfast recipes all over India. And the reason for its popularity lies in the ease of its preparation. Okay, not just that… it is easy on the stomach, tastes good even if not served hot, allows customization, doesn’t call for many ingredients and is super delicious to eat.
Poha needs poha. I mean obviously, we need poha to make it. Now there is an N number of ways in which poha is made in India. It reminds me of vegetable dum biryani. I prepare poha and toppings separately. This not only makes it super delicious but also gives a choice of customization to everyone. I add onions, potatoes, mint leaves and peanuts to poha. Each of these is deeply fried separately and added later. Poha is garnished with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
1. Fry onions : In a deep pan heat 3-4 tbsp oil or as much required. Add 2 sliced onions. Fry them on low flame till crisp and brown. Keep aside. For that matter, we have to keep all the toppings aside initially.
2. Fry potatoes : In the same hot oil, add 2 sliced potatoes. Cook till golden brown.
3. Fry mint leaves : Now add a handful of mint leaves in that hot oil. Cook till crisp.
4. Fry peanuts : In the same oil, add ¼ cup peanuts. Cook on low flame till crunchy. To check whether peanuts are cooked or not, just drop one in a steel bowl. You will hear a solid sound. If you hear a soft sound, the peanuts need further cooking. Hope I have been able to explain what I meant.
5. Wash and soak poha : To wash poha, take 3 cups poha in a large bowl or colander. And wash it nicely. Thereafter soak it in some water till it is soft. To remove the water, put it in a large colander and let the water drain out.
6. Season poha : Once the poha is drained, take it out in a large plate. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp red chili powder, and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Mix everything well.
7. Cook poha : Heat 2 tbsp oil. You may use the same oil you had been using for deep frying. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Once they crackle add curry leaves. I was short of curry leaves, so couldn’t add them. Add seasoned poha. Cook on low flame for 5-6 minutes.
8. Garnish : S witch off the flame, add a handful of chopped coriander and juice of 2 lemons or 1 large lemon. And mix.
9. Add toppings : Add all the fried toppings and mix everything very well. Here you may customize the topping as per everyone’s preference.
10. Bon appétit : Serve with masala tea.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
1. Wash and soak poha
2. Fry onions
3. Fry potatoes
4. Fry mint leaves
5. Fry peanuts
6. Cook poha
7. Add toppings
8. Bon appétit
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback
I will try this at home.