Methi Rice Recipe is a simple rice preparation made up of (as the name suggests) rice and fenugreek leaves (methi). Methi has an awesome flavour and can pep up any dish. It takes the “simple rice” to another level.
You can add other vegetables such as carrot, cauliflower, peas, tomatoes, onions etc. But that will make it a pulao and I like to serve Methi Rice Recipe with different Indian gravies, so I keep it very basic. Further I have flavoured the rice with clarified butter (ghee), cumin seeds and cinnamon stick. You can add ginger, garlic, green chillies etc.
Methi is loved by one and all in my family. Therefore I use it in many preparations such as aloo methi, paneer methi, methi wali dal, methi muthiya, methi gotte, methi malai matar etc. However if you are not this much fond of methi, you can reduce its bitterness. For that take methi in a colander. Sprinkle some salt. Leave it for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the water and off goes the bitterness too. Then use it, you will love it.
1. Wash 1 cup rice properly. Soak in sufficient water for 20 minutes. Wash2 cups fenugreek leaves properly. Chop them.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds. Once they crackle, add 1” cinnamon stick. Let it be aromatic.
3. Add 2 cups chopped fenugreek leaves. Sauté for a minute. Do not overcook otherwise the colour and nutrients will be lost. Add 1cup soaked rice, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups water. Let it come to a boil.
5. Lower the flame and cover the pan. Place some weight on the cover so that the steam doesn’t escape. Let it cook for 10 minutes. The water will be absorbed by the rice and the rice will turn soft. Turn off the flame. Let the rice rest for another 10 minutes. Thereafter flip them once.
6. Serve methi rice with gravies and dal.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 12-15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 32-35 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback