Kachumber Salad Recipe – Kachumber Salad is an onion, tomato and cucumber salad, seasoned with some salt, cumin powder, chaat masala and lemon juice.
Kachumber Salad is a great way to add colours and nutrition to the meals. It can lift any boring meal. It can be served with most of the Indian curries and dals. Apart from that if can also be served as a dip with nachos or chips. And at my place it is a must with vegetable biryani, pulao, stuffed paranthas etc.
In a jiffy I often resort to making dal fry for dinner. But then the question is how to convert dal fry into a complete meal. To do that, I add some restaurant style jeera rice and kachumber salad to the menu, along with tandoori roti made on tawa (I shall soon share the recipe on the blog). And my dinner table looks perfect.
Kachumber Salad Recipe
Course Salad, Appetiser
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time Nil
Serving 4 persons
Ingredients for Kachumber Salad
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Black salt to taste
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Juice of a lemon
How to make Kachumber Salad
1. Mix all vegetables
In a bowl mix 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped cucumber, 2 chopped tomatoes and 1 finely chopped green chilli. Mix well.
2. Add seasoning
Add black salt as per taste, ½ tsp chaat masala powder, 1 tsp roasted cumin powder, handful of chopped coriander leaves and juice of 1 lemon. Mix everything well.
3. Bon appétit
Serve kachumber salad with Indian dals or curries.
- You can add other vegetables such as carrots, boiled potatoes, capsicum etc to the salad.
- For flavouring, you can add black pepper powder, mint leaves, red chilli powder etc.
- Menu idea: Kachumber salad, dal dry, roasted papad, jeer aalo, tandoori roti, chhaachh.