Lobia is a type of beans. In Hindi, it is also known as Chawla and in English, it is called Black Eyed Beans or cowpea. Lobia curry is lobia cooked a simple onion tomato based gravy flavoured with the basic spices. Lobia (Black Eyed Beans) is rich in protein, energy, iron, calcium, vitamin K. Lobia Recipe is a very healthy dish. We can make Chawla curry for lunch or dinner, but for lunch, it is a good option because it is a bit heavy on the stomach. Different varieties of lobia is available.
Very easy and quick recipe
Rich in protein and fiber
Lobia can be made dry or with gravy
Lobia Curry calls for
Black eyed beans (lobia): Different varieties of black eyed beans are available in different regions. The cooking time may vary.
Other ingredients: Black eyed beans have been cooked in onion tomato based gravy. Apart from that some basic Indian spices have been used. You may also use ginger or garlic to flavour lobia curry.
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pressure cooker.
2. Once the oil is hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and let it crackle.
3. Add 2 medium sized chopped onion.
4. Stir it till it becomes translucent.
5. Add 3 pureed tomatoes
6. Cook till it starts oil starts oozing
7. Add 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp amchur powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder, salt (According to your taste).
8. Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes.
9. Add one cup soaked Lobia.
10. Mix Lobia with the gravy. Cook for 5 minutes.
11. Add 2 cups water and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles. Let the pressure release on its own. Check the gravy consistency and seasoning, add water and salt, if required.
12. Serve lobia curry with hot chapatis or rice.
PREP TIME 15 minutes + 3-4 hours
COOK TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 3-4 hours + 35 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback