Paneer Makhanwala Recipe with step by step pictures
What is Paneer Makhanwala?
Paneer Makhanwala is a very delicious, absolutely smooth preparation of cottage cheese. It should not be confused with butter paneer masala. Both the preparations are totally different. Paneer Makhanwala is flavourful and mildly sweet. It is often found on the restaurants’ menus. But believe me, if you will try this gravy, you won’t order it. Because the best part of this recipe is that it is very simple to make.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Paneer Makhanwala Recipe
Paneer Makhanwala Recipe calls for buttery gravy that is prepared with tomatoes, onions, some spices and the hint of ginger and garlic. Little sugar and cream add some sweetness to the gravy that really compliments its texture. The gravy is cooked in butter and garnished with some butter. The use of butter and the texture of the dish justify its name.
Other restaurant style recipes on the blog are
Ingredients for Paneer Makhanwala Recipe
For the paste
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 strand of mace (javitri)
- 2-3 green cardamoms (chhoti elaichi)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dal chini)
- 2-3 cloves (laung)
- 10-12 cashews or 2-3 tbsp broken cashews
- 1 cup water
Other ingredients required for Paneer Makhanwala
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 and ½ tsp Kashmiri red chilli
- 1 slit green chilli
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 250 g cottage cheese (paneer) cut into cubes
- ¼ cup cream
- Butter for garnishing, as required
How to make Paneer Makhanwala
1. Cook the ingredients for paste
Heat 1 cup water in a deep pan. Add all the ingredients mentioned under the heading “For the paste. On a low flame, cook it for 15-20 minutes. The tomatoes should turn soft and mushy. Thereafter switch off the flame and let the mixture cool down.
2. Grind to make a paste
Once the mixture is cool, add to a grinder and make a smooth paste. There should not be any lumps of that stubborn cashew. Keep aside for now.
3. Prepare tempering
Heat 2 tbsp butter. Do not overheat otherwise it will burn. Once it melts, add 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves and 1 bay leaf. Cook for 20-30 seconds till everything is aromatic.
4. Add paste and red chilli powder and cook
Add the paste. Add 1.5 tsp red chilli powder. Cook till the fat separates.
5. Add other ingredients and cook
Add 1-1.5 cups of water. Add 1 slit green chilli. Add salt to taste. Add 1 tsp sugar or as required. Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add paneer
Make way for the star… add 250 g cubed cottage cheese paneer. It is a paneer Makhanwala. I will use the word paneer. Cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes.
Tip: If using homemade paneer, never over cook it. It will become hard.
7. Add cream
Switch off the flame and add ¼ cup cream. Check the seasoning and adjust if required. Garnish with little butter.
8. Bon appétit
- You may skip the cream totally. I have tried this recipe without cream too. It is absolutely delicious and creamy.