Namkeen Chawal Recipe with step by step pictures
What is Namkeen Chawal?
The easiest and most delicious way of using left over rice is Namkeen Chawal. Cooked rice fried with onions, curry leaves, mustard seeds, green chilies finished with lemon juice, coriander leaves etc, is a Basant panchami special food at my place. I don’t use onions when I make these Basant panchami special namkeen chawal. They need no accompaniments, however if you want you can serve them with some yogurt or a cup of tea.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Namkeen Chawal Recipe
It is my family’s favourite recipe with left over rice. So, first of all we need cooked rice. Any recipe using left over rice works best if the rice is cold, i.e. refrigerated. Very simple ingredients are required for the tempering i.e. mustard seeds, onions, chilies, curry leaves and none should be omitted. My husband loves to garnish namkeen chawal with chopped onions and tomatoes.
Other recipes using left over rice are tomato rice recipe and lemon rice recipe. Tomato rice is a healthy recipe using left over rice. Find it here. Lemon rice is another Basant panchami special food. Find the recipe here.
Namkeen Chawal (Rice )Recipe
|Preparation time||5 minutes|
|Cooking time||10 minutes|
|Total time||15 minutes|
Ingredients for Namkeen Chawal Recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (raie)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 green chilli, slit
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of chopped coriander
How to make Namkeen Chawal without cooker
- Heat 2 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds (raie). Let them crackle. Then add few curry leaves and 1 slit green chili. Cook for 20-30 seconds on low flame.
- In goes 2 sliced onions.
- Cook till they turn brown.
- Next add in 3 cups of cooked rice along with ½ tsp red chili powder, ½ tsp turmeric powder and salt to taste and ½ tsp garam masala powder. (If rice has salt, add very little salt).
- Mix well.
- Simmer on low flame for 2-4 minutes.
- Garnish with handful of chopped coriander and juice of half lemon.
- Serve hot. Bon appétit!
- You can garnish with chopped onions and tomatoes.