Aloo Raita Recipe with step by step pictures
What is Aloo Raita?
It is side dish made by combining yogurt and boiled potatoes. Aloo raita is mildly flavoured with black salt, roasted cumin seeds powder etc. It can be served with pulao and Indian gravies etc. Aloo raita is sure to please the kids specially, as every kid loves potatoes. It can be smart way to make them eat their not so favourite veggies by serving aloo raita with them.
Let’s talk about the ingredients for Aloo Raita Recipe
Well whisked yogurt and boiled potatoes cut in cubes is all needed to make aloo raita. Aloo raita is very mildly spiced. So many spices are not required. However, for slight kick dry pomegranate seeds (anaardana) powder has been added. I always use black salt in raita and salad recipes. For any raita recipe, it is important to use fresh yogurt. It should be whisked till smooth. If it is thick, little water can be added. Thick and creamy yogurt is required for the aloo raita recipe. So water should be added only if the yogurt is too thick.
Aloo Raita Recipe
|Preparation time||10 minutes|
|Total time||10 minutes|
|Serves/Makes||1 and ½ cup|
Ingredients to make Aloo Raita
1 cup yogurt (dahi), well whisked
1 large potato, boiled and chopped
Black salt (kala namak) to taste
¼ tsp dry pomegranate seeds (anaardana) powder
½ tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
How to make aloo raita
- Take boiled and chopped potato in a plate. Season with some black salt (kala namak) and roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder.
- In a mixing bowl add 1 cup well-whisked yogurt (dahi). Add black salt (kala namak) to taste, ¼ tsp dry pomegranate seeds (anaardana) powder and ½ tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder.
- Add seasoned potatoes in seasoned yogurt and mix.
- Serve it chilled. Bon appétit.
- For flavour you can add black pepper powder, red chilli powder etc. I personally don’t prefer to use red chilli powder in salad and raita recipes.
- You can garnish aloo raita with chopped mint, coriander or green chillies.
- For some bite you can add chopped onion.