Vegetable Dalia Pulao Recipe is a savory preparation of broken wheat. Broken wheat is cooked such that it is soft but not mushy. Flavours and health are added to vegetable dalia pulao in form of vegetables such as carrot, peas etc. The vegetable daliapulao is popped up with lots of lemon juice and chopped coriander. It is very nutritious and is a great option for breakfast.
Broken wheat and vegetables are used to make vegetable dalia pulao. Broken wheat or dalia is dry roasted for this preparation. I use clarified butter i.e ghee and I would not suggest replacing it with oil. Ghee gives a very nice flavor to the dish. I avoid onions in vegetable dalia as I feel onions will make it heavy and difficult to digest. Lemon juice gives a nice kick to vegetable dalia pulao. And chopped coriander adds great flavor and freshness to the dish.
1. Prepare tempering : Heat a pressure cooker and add 2 tbsp clarified butter. Once it is hot, add 1 tsp cumin seeds and ¼ tsp asafetida. Let the cumin seed crackle.
2. Add tomatoes and spices : Add 2 grated tomatoes. Cook till oil oozes and then add 1 tsp red chili powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder.
3. Add vegetables and cook them : Add ½ cup peas and ½ cup finely chopped carrot. Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add salt, water, and broken wheat : Add salt to taste, 2 ½ cups of water and 1 cup roasted broken wheat.
5. Pressure cook and check : Put the lid of pressure cooker and cook till one whistle. Thereafter reduce the flame and cook for 2 minutes. Let the pressure release. Once the cooker cools down, open it and check dalia for doneness by pressing a grain between fingertips. It should be soft and not at all grainy. If it is grainy, sprinkle little water and pressure till one whistle. Toss it with a fork to separate the grains.
6. Add lemons juice, coriander and black pepper : Add lots of lemon juice, chopped coriander and black pepper (no not lots of black pepper, just ¼ tsp of it ;))
7. Bon appétit : Serve vegetable dalia pulao with fresh yogurt/curd or mango pickle.
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
1. Heat ½ tsp clarified butter (ghee).
2. Add 1 cup broken wheat (dalia).
3. Roast on low flame till it turns brown and aromatic.
4. Add 3 cups water.
5. Add ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Cook on high flame till 1 whistle. There after cook for 2-3 minutes. Let the pressure release. Dalia should be absolutely soft. Keep aside for now.
8. In another pan heat the remaining clarified butter.
9. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) and a pinch of asafetida (heeng) and cook till aromatic.
10. Add vegetables i.e. ½ cup chopped cauliflower, ¼ cup carrots, ½ cup peas and a pinch of salt. (Tip: Little salt helps in faster cooking of the vegetables).
11. Add 1 tsp ginger chilli paste. Cook for 1 minute.
12. Add 2 chopped tomatoes.
13. Cook till they turn soft.
14. Add cooked dalia.
15. Add chopped coriander leaves.
16. Add juice of 1 lemon.
17. Finish off with ¼ tsp black pepper powder.
18. Serve hot with yogurt. Bon appétit.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback