Absolutely soft and crumbly, chocolaty cake, made even chocolatier with chocolate ganache, baked in the shape of a heart, to convert simple cake into valentine day special cake. There are n numbers of chocolate cake recipes. This one is my favourite because it is one bowl cake recipe that teaches to make the best chocolate cake. It is super simple and easy from the start till the end. Anyone can make it because no fancy equipment, no piping techniques have been used. The cake is topped with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar to make it even more special.
The best part about this Valentine’s Day chocolate cake recipe is that it is an eggless cake. So even if you avoid eggs due to any reasons, you can indulge in this chocolate cake. Omitting eggs is not easy after all the texture can’t be com. Yoghurt has been used along with baking soda and baking powder. For chocolate flavour, cocoa powder has been used. Some instant coffee gives a great kick to the cake. The cake has been covered with dark chocolate ganache and finished with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar.
Another eggless yet exotic chocolate cake recipe is that of eggless truffle cake which you can find. For Valentine’s Day, you can also make eggless red velvet cake which has cream cheese frosting made with homemade cream cheese. Get the recipe here.
1.Add all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl i.e. ½ cup all-purpose flour (maida), ¼ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 3/8 cup sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder.
2. Mix well.
3. Make a well in the centre. Add wet ingredients i.e. ¼ cup milk, ¼ cup oil, ¼ cup yogurt (dahi), and ½ tsp vanilla essence.
4. Time to add 2 tbsp unsweetened instant coffee. (Made by mixing ½ tsp instant coffee powder in 2 tbsp hot water).
5. Mix everything well.
6. Pour in a heart shaped cake tin/mould. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees or 160 degrees (in case of fan oven /convection oven) for 35-40 minutes or till the inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool down and then demould it.
7. To dress up the cake let’s make chocolate ganache. In a microwave-safe bowl take 250 g chopped/grated dark chocolate and 125 g heavy cream.
8. Microwave at 30 seconds interval till the two are well combined and absolutely smooth. Let it sit and come to the room temperature.
9. Place heart-shaped cake on a wired rack with a plate underneath. Pour chocolate ganache. And cover the cake.
10. Leave it at room temperature for an hour or so. Use a spoon and make patterns.
11. Put strawberries on the cake.
12. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on the cake.
13. Bon appétit!
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 10 minutes
1. Collect and measure all the ingredients.
2. Grease a 7 inch cake pan and pre-heat the oven to 180⁰C (160⁰C in case of fan oven or convection oven).
3. Place a sieve over a large bowl/plate.
4. Sieve 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3 tbsp cocoa powder, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp baking soda.
5. In another bowl take 3/4 cup sugar.
6. Add 1 cup cold water.
8. Till the sugar is dissolved.
9. Add 1/4 oil or melted butter. I added melted butter, but now it’s cold here so by the time butter’s turn came it had started solidifying… that is why it looks so.
10. Mix it. Give a vigorous stir.
11. Add 1 tsp lemon juice.
12. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
13. Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
14. Add in batches.
15. Till they are well combined.
16. Pour the batter in the greased pan.
17. Pat to get rid of the extra air bubbles.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback