Rice with the tangy flavor of tamarind well combined with the flavor of other spices, everything well-balanced with a hint of jaggery is Tamarind rice. It is a great recipe to use left-over rice.
Cooked rice: This recipe for Tamarind Rice uses cooked rice. Make sure the rice used is not over-cooked unless you like mushy tamarind rice.
Spice mix: A spice mix comprising of coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal, fenugreek leaves, and red chilies is used. It gives such a distinct and wonderful flavor to the South Indian cooked rice recipes, such that I make it in bulk and stock it. This will be evident from the pictures of the recipe steps.
Tamarind and Jaggery: Certainly tamarind gives the main flavor to the dish. Little jaggery evens out the tanginess and makes tamarind perfectly balanced.
Rice is a staple thing in Indian households. And leftover rice is such a common thing in the refrigerator and therefore recipes using leftover rice is common on the blog. For example tomato rice, lemon rice, masala rice, curd rice.
Tamarind rice can be served for a light lunch or dinner with coriander raita.
1. This recipe serves 2-3 persons, depending on their love for rice. (I can, for instance, eat the whole preparation all by myself.)
2. Prepare the spice powder. For that dry roast 2 tsp coriander seeds, 2 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal, 1 dry red chili and ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds (dana methi).
3. Cook on low flame till aromatic. Let it cool down. Thereafter powder it.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of oil. Add the mustard seeds. Let them splutter. Add a sprig of curry leaves and dry red chili. Cook for 30 seconds. Add a handful of peanuts (moongfali). Cook till peanuts are crisp. Add in 2 tsp chana dal and 1 tsp urad dal, cook till urad dal turns golden. Next goes in ½ tsp sesame seeds (til) and cook for 3 seconds.
5. Now comes 1 cup of cooked rice. Add in salt to taste if required.
Tips:Prefer refrigerated rice to avoid breaking of rice.
6. Pep it up with 2 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp.
7. Balance it with 1 tsp grated jaggery (gur).
8. Add in ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Mix everything with a light hand and cook for 5-7 minutes on a low flame.
Tips:It is better to add turmeric in the tempering itself. You can even skip it.
9. Serve hot or at room temperature. Bon appétit!
PREP TIME 0 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 10 minutes
For Spice Mix:
For Tamarind Rice:
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback