Stuffed Idli Recipe are soft idlis with a delicious potato stuffing. Potato stuffing has crunchy split chickpeas and mustard seeds, flavored with curry leaves, basically, idlis stuffed with the potato stuffing used in a masala dosa. Stuffed idli makes a great breakfast option and is a wonderful way to finish the leftover dosa batter or dosa masala or both. I often make stuffed idlis for my kids’ tiffin and they love it.
Stuffed idli is a combination of masala dosa and idli. It is a great way to finish off the leftover idli or dosa batter. In fact, it is worth to prepare the idli batter to make stuffed idli. It can also be prepared instantly using the recipe for instant idli.
I prepared stuffed idli for my guests and served with coconut chutney and they were so surprised because a) they were not expecting any stuffing in the idlis b) they were not expecting the dosa stuffing in idlis.
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Once they crackle add 1 tsp split chickpeas. Let it turn light golden then add 1 broken red chilli. Cook for 10-20 seconds, then add handful of curry leaves.
2. Add 1 sliced onion. Add a little salt. Cook till translucent.
3. Add 3 boiled and mashed potatoes. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp red chilli powder and ½ tsp turmeric powder. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Thereafter take out on a plate and let it cool down. Add handful of chopped coriander and mix. Divide into portions and make flat patties.
4. Grease the plates of idli stand. Add sufficient water in the stand.
5. Add spoonful idli batter in the mould. Place the prepared patties. Cover with more batter.
6. Put the idli mould in the idli stand. Steam for 12-15 minutes or till done. Thereafter let it cool down for 2 minutes. Then demould the idlis.
7. Serve stuffed idli with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback