Idli is basically a steamed cake. It is prepared using rice and urad dal and includes fermentation of a few hours. Sooji idli is prepared (as the name suggests) using sooji i.e. semolina and this instant version does not require any fermentation. Sooji idlis are very spongy, soft and delicious. The best part is that they are very versatile. Sooji idlis can not only be served with a number of curries and chutney, but there are also different ways in which they can be fried and stuffed.
Sooji idli calls for some semolina and yogurt (dahi). Regular sooji has been used. You can use fine quality sooji for this recipe. For best results, dry roast sooji for 2 minutes on a low flame, without changing its color at all. Apart from that yogurt is required. Do not use sour yogurt. To fasten the process of fermentation, fruit salt, that is Eno has been used. This is the basic version of sooji idli. They are plain and simple and versatile. Sooji idlis form the basic ingredient for many recipes.
Other idli recipes on the blog are instant rava idli, these are very flavourful and instant idlis; mini idlis, these cuties are sure to win the hearts of your cuties; vegetable idli, soft idlis given an absolutely crunchy, colorful and delicious twist.
1. Mix semolina, yogurt, and water : In a mixing bowl add 1 cup semolina, 1 cup yogurt, and 1/4 cup water.
2. Add salt and sugar and mix everything well : Add in salt to taste and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Mix everything well.
3. Let the batter rest, grease idli plates and prepare the steamer : Leave the batter to rest for some 10-15 minutes. While the batter rests, prepare the plates of idli stand by greasing them with some oil. Also, prepare the steamer. Add required quantity of water and let it come to a boil.
4. After 10 minutes, add fruit salt and oil : After 15 minutes the batter would have thickened. Now add in one teaspoon of oil and one teaspoon fruit salt. To activate the fruit salt, add 2 teaspoons of water on it and then mix it well.
5. Fill idli plates with batter and steam it : Pour the batter in the idli plates. Tap it nicely. Put in the steamer. Steam for 10-12 minutes or till done.
6. After 10 to 12 minutes idlis are ready : Check idli after 10 minutes by inserting a knife. it should come out clean otherwise, steam them further for 2 minutes. Let them cool down for 2-3 minutes. Thereafter de-mold them.
7. Bon appétit : Enjoy instant sooji idli with sambar and coconut chutney.
PREP TIME 30 minutes
COOK TIME 10-12 minutes
TOTAL TIME 40 minutes
• 1 cup semolina (sooji)
• 1 cup yogurt
• Water as required
• Salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 teaspoon oil
• 1 teaspoon fruit salt
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback