A combination of chana dal and spinach with other greens, cooked with onions and tomatoes, flavoured with ginger, garlic, green chillies and spices is Sindhi sai bhaji. It is broadly a kind of dal palak which is tangy and spicy. Sai bhaji is best served with bhuga chawal; it is a Sindhi rice preparation wherein caramelized onions give a great taste to it. However, sai bhaji can be served with plain rice or chapattis or parathas too.
Spinach forms the base of sai bhaji recipe. Other greens such as khatti palak, dill leaves are also used. Chana dal is another main ingredient used in Sindhi sai bhaji recipe. The level of tanginess depends on your taste. I add a handful of other greens, you may add more or less. However, if you can’t find the other greens and want tangy sai bhaji, increase the number of tomatoes used and use the tangy ones.
1. In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp oil.
2. Add in 2 chopped onions, 7-8 crushed garlic cloves, 1 “crushed ginger and 2 chopped green chillies. Cook for 3-4 minutes till onions turn translucent.
3. Add 1 chopped potato and ¼ cup chopped bottle gourd (lauki). Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Time for spices, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and ¼ tsp turmeric powder. Cook for a minute.
5. Let’s add the greens; half of them from spinach leaves of 1 bunch of spinach, a handful of sorrel and a handful of Dill leaves.
6. ½ cup soaked chana dal goes in next.
7. Add remaining greens.
8. Add puree of 2 tomatoes.
9. Add salt to taste. Cook everything for 3-4 minutes.
10. Add in 1 cup water.
11. Pressure cook for 4 whistles or till dal is absolutely soft and mushy. Whisk it once to blend everything slightly.
12. Serve with rice. Bon appétit!
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (160 in case of convection/fan ovens). Grease the baking tray.
2. Slightly roast the saffron strands. This enhances its flavour.
3. Dissolve saffron in 1 tsp warm milk.
4. Coarsely chop or crush the pistachios.
5. Take 1/4 cup ghee in a large bowl. The ghee should be at the room temperature.
6. Add 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp powdered sugar.
7. Mix ghee and sugar.
8. Add powder of 3 cardamom pods.
9. Add 1/8 nutmeg powdered.
10. Add the saffron milk and mix everything.
11. Add 3/4 cup maida.
12. Mix everything till to get bread crumbs like texture.
13. Bring the dough together. Use 1 tbsp milk or as much required.
14. Roll the dough.
15. Cut into cookies.
16. Bake @180⁰C (160 in case of convection/fan ovens) for 15 minutes or till done.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback