Rajasthani sev tamatar ki sabji is spicy and delicious onions and tomato based gravy which is topped with lots of spicy sev. It has flavors of garlic, ginger and green chilies and a hint of spices, a lot of spices. Whenever you run out of vegetables or want a break from your regular dinner menu, make Rajasthani Sev Tamatar ki sabji. It goes very well with fulka, Moti roti or bajre ki roti.
Rajasthani Sev Tamatar ki Sabji is a spicy preparation. Ginger, garlic, green chilies and whole spices add the heat to the dish. As such it has an onion and tomato based gravy, but I also like to add some tomato slices in the gravy. It not only brings more justice to the name of the dish “Sev Tamatar” but also cuts down the heat of the spicy sev. Any thick sev of your choice is good for this recipe.
1. Heat 2 tbsp oil. Once it is hot add 8-10 black peppercorns, 4 cloves and 1” piece of cinnamon. Cook till aromatic. Add 2 sliced onions, 8-10 roughly chopped garlic pods, 2” piece of chopped ginger and 1 roughly chopped green chili. Cook everything on a low flame till onions turn brown.
2. Take the mixture out in a bowl. Let it cool completely. Thereafter add into a grinder jar and make a fine paste. Keep aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil. Add ½ tsp mustard seeds, ½ tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp asafetida, 1 bay leaf, and 2 dried red whole chilies. Cook for 10 seconds. Add powdered spices i.e. ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, 2 tsp coriander powder. Add little water to prevent burning of spices. Cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add in the prepared paste. Cook on a low flame till the oil oozes out. Add 2 cups water. Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
5. Wash and wipe tomato and green chilies properly. Roast on the gas stove on a low flame. Let it cool. Keep aside the roasted green chilies for garnishing. De-skin the tomato and cut into slices. Add these sliced tomatoes in the prepared gravy and cook for 2-3 minutes. Check the seasoning and consistency.
6. For serving, take some gravy in the serving bowl. Add enough besan ki sev on it. Garnish with chopped coriander and roasted green chili. Serve immediately.
7. Serve sev tamatar ki sabji with Chapattis or Butter Naan.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 50 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback