Poha cutlets are patties made using flattened rice i.e. poha as the main ingredient. They are absolutely delicious, crispy and crunchy cutlets with the goodness of vegetables. Vegetables not only increase the health quotient of the cutlets but also give them a nice bite. Ginger and chaat masala give them the required kick. Further Poha cutlet recipe is flavored with some fresh coriander etc. These cutlets don’t lose their crunch even after coming to the room temperature. They make a great lunch box or tiffin option, apart from being a good breakfast or snack option. Also, poha cutlets can be used as patties for burgers. Further, I use this recipe to make cutlets with any leftover poha.
Poha cutlets recipe call for poha i.e. the flattened rice which is generally used to make poha.I have used thick quality poha and would recommend using the same. Boiled potatoes have been used for the binding. Apart from that, I have added some vegetables such as peas, cabbage, and carrot for nutrition, bite, and color.
1. Activate poha : Wash 2 cups poha properly. Add enough water in them and leave for 5-7 minutes. After 5-7 minutes poha will be soft. Squeeze off the excess water, if any.
2. Prepare mixture for cutlets : In a mixing bowl add the soaked poha. Into this add 2 large boiled and mashed potatoes, salt to taste, 1 tsp red chili powder (reduce the quantity if you are making it for kids), 1 tsp chaat masala and 1 inch grated ginger. Into this add the veggies i.e. ½ cup boiled green peas, ¼ cup finely chopped cabbage, 1 chopped carrot and handful of chopped coriander. Add 2 tbsp rice flour. Mix everything and check the seasoning.
Tips: If you don’t have rice flour, you may add bread crumbs or semolina or corn flour.
3. Shape the cutlets for the perfect cutlet recipe : Just roll the mixture into desired thickness. Use a cookie cutter and give shapes to the cutlets.
Tips: If you plan to pan fry or shallow fry the cutlets, do not make thick cutlets. However, if you plan to deep fry them, make them thick.
4. Fry cutlets : TO pan fry the cutlets add 2-3 tsp oil in a nonstick pan. Once it is hot, fry the cutlets on medium flame till they are golden brown from both the sides.
Tips: Once done, take out the cutlets on a perforated plate.
5. Bon appétit : Serve poha cutlets with tomato ketchup.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME 25 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback