Onion Uttapam is a pancake with caramelized onions as its topping. It is a great way to finish the leftover idli or dosa batter. Onion uttapam doesn’t call for many ingredients. With just a handful of ingredients, we can make a gorgeous breakfast dish.
Onion uttapam calls for some caramelized onions and idli/dosa batter. You can use the regular idli/dosa batter made with rice and dal or the instant rava batter. I use the same batter for idlis, uttapam, appam etc. The critical part of this recipe is caramelizing onions. Do not overdo them. I have simply seasoned them with the handful of chopped coriander, it gives a nice flavor and color to the onion uttapam.
1. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil. Add sliced onions. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar. Cook on low flame. Stirring continuously. Till the onions become brown.
2. Heat a non-stick pan. Spread little oil and then wipe it off with a tissue. Pour approximately 1/2 cup batter (depends upon the size of uttapam you want to make). Spread it to form a thick pancake. Add caramelized onions, chopped chilies and chopped coriander. Yes, I have omitted chilies, you smart people. But if you add them to add at this stage.
3. Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add little oil on the edges of uttapam. Flip and cook from the other side too.
4. Serve onion uttapam with green chutney or coconut chutney.
PREP TIME 10 minutes
COOK TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
• 2 cups idli batter
• Handful of chopped coriander
• 1 green chilli, finely chopped
• Oil for cooking uttapam
• For caramelized onions
• 4 medium sized onions, sliced
• 1/2 tbsp oil
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp sugar
1. Caramelize onions
Heat 1/2 tbsp oil. Add sliced onions. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar. Cook on low flame. Stir continuously till the onions become brown.
Tip: Separate the onions
2. Heat oil and add batter and toppings
Heat a non stick pan. Spread little oil and then wipe it off with a tissue. Pour approximately 1/2 cup batter. Spread it to form a thick pan cake. Add caramelized onions, chopped chillies and chopped coriander.
3. Cook uttapam
Cover and cook on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Add little oil on the edges of uttapam. Flip and cook from the other side too.
4. Bon appétit
Serve onion uttapam with coconut chutney or green chutney.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback