Instant Medu Vada is a deep-fried snack made using semolina (sooji) as the main ingredient. The beauty of the dish lies in its texture; it is soft and fluffy from inside and has a real crisp outside. It is flavoured with some fresh ingredients such as ginger, coriander etc. These vada have a very interesting and beautiful shape as that of Doughnuts and a special technique is used to get that shape. In the recipe part how to make instant medu vada has been explained.
Instant Medu Vada Recipe calls for perfect medu vada batter which is made using semolina. Here I am using the regular thick semolina; you may also use the fine quality of semolina to make Instant Medu Vadas. Apart from that yogurt is required. The consistency of medu vada batter is critical and should be correct. Since these are the instant vadas, a little of quantity of baking soda is also required. For the flavouring ginger and coriander have been used. These vadas are given a very different and unique shape as that of doughnuts; it makes them really crispy because centre as well as the circumference gets crisp.
1. In a mixing bowl add one cup of semolina (sooji). Into this add 3/4 cup yogurt (dahi), 1 tsp finely chopped ginger and 1 finely chopped green chilli. Also add in salt to taste.
2. Mix everything.
3. Add 1 to 2 tbsp of water.
4. Let the batter rest for some 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile lets prepare to shape the vadas. Take a clean and smooth muslin cloth and a big bowl.
6. Spread and tightly hold that cloth on the bowl.
7. Secure it with an elastic band.
8. When batter has rested for 15 minutes, add handful of chopped coriander.
9. Also add in a little less than 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Mix it well.
10. In order to shape the vadas, dip your fingers in a bowl of water.
11. Take a portion of batter.
12. Put it on the cloth.
13. Make a hole in the centre.
14. Carefully flip the vada back on your fingers.
15. Heat enough oil. Add vada into it and deep fry on a medium flame.
16. Fry till vada turns golden brown.
17. Serve hot with coconut chutney. Bon appétit.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 40 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback