Instant khaman is steamed Gujarati snack made using gram flour i.e. besan. it has an awesome balance of flavours. it is a savoury dish with a slight sweetness and a tangy kick of lemon. a perfect tempering further adds flavours to instant khaman. do try this recipe because it is
gluten free recipe
healthy breakfast recipe
healthy snack recipe
Instant khaman dhokla calls for:
gram flour (besan) + semolina (sooji):
I have used regular gram flour and added little semolina to add some texture to it. however, if you use the thicker variety you may omit semolina
since it is an instant version, we need some agents. I have used unflavored Eno fruit salt. you may use baking soda. but if you use baking soda DO NOT ADD TURMERIC POWDER as soda and turmeric powder react and change the color of dhokla to a scary red (wink)
this is a very important ingredient that’s why I make it separately. you can include this in the tempering too.
its tempering is very flavourful with crackling mustard seeds, asafetida, chilies and curry leaves
lots of fresh coriander and coconut not only adds fresh flavours but also adds some colors to the khaman
1. mix gram flour and semolina and add water : sift 1.5 cup gram flour (besan), add 2 tbsp semolina. add lukewarm water gradually approx 1/2 to 3/4 cup to make a smooth batter.
2. add lemon juice and sugar : add 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1.5 tbsp sugar and let batter rest for 15 minutes
3. prepare a water solution : while batter rests, take 1 cup water and add 1 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt to it. stir well to mix. keep aside.
4. add salt, oil, fruit salt to the batter : after 15 minutes, stir the mixture once. add salt to taste, 1 tsp oil. mix. add 3/4 tsp fruit salt and 1 tsp water on it.
5. mix and steam : whisk in one direction for 10-15 seconds. the batter will double in volume. pour in greased pan and steam for 20 minutes on medium flame.
6. check and demould and cut dhokla into pieces : after steaming for 20 minutes, check khaman by inserting a knife. it should come out clean. pour the water sugar solution on it. once it cools down, loosen the sides, de-mold. cut into pieces.
7. prepare tempering : for tempering, heat 1.5 tbsp oil. add 1/4 tsp asafetida and 1 tsp mustard seeds. add 1 slit green chilli and 1 slit red chilli. add few curry leaves. pour hot tempering on the dhokla.
8. bon appétit : finish off with chopped coriander and grated coconut. serve with meethi chutney.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 40 minutes
For water solution:
1. Mix gram flour and semolina and add water
Sift 1.5 cup gram flour (besan), add 2 tbsp semolina. Add lukewarm water gradually appprox 1/2 to 3/4 cup to make a smooth batter.
2. Add lemon juice and sugar
Add 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1.5 tbsp sugar and let batter rest for 15 minutes
3. Prepare water solution
While batter rests, take 1 cup water and add 1 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt to it. Stir well to mix. Keep aside.
4. Add salt, oil, fruit salt to batter
After 15 minutes, stir the mixture once. Add salt to taste, 1 tsp oil. mix. Add 1 tsp fruit salt and 1 tsp water on it.
5. Mix and steam
Whisk in one direction for 1 minute. The batter will double in volume. Put in steamer for 20 minutes.
6. Check and demould and cut dhokla into pieces
After steaming for 20 minutes, check khaman by inserting knife. It should come out clean. Pour the water sugar solution on it. Once it cools down, loosen the sides, de-mould. Cut into pieces.
7. Prepare tempering
For tempering, heat 1.5 tbsp oil. Add 1/4 tsp asafetida and 1 tsp mustard seeds. Add 1 slit green chilli and 1 slit red chilli. Add few curry leaves. Pour hot tempering on the dhokla.
8. Bon appétit
Finish off with chopped coriander and grated coconut. Serve with meethi chutney.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback