A Gujarati preparation made up of gram flour, which is sweet as well as sour, which is soft and spongy, having the fresh flavors of coriander, coconut and green chilies along with the tempering (tadka) of asafoetida (heeng), mustard seeds and curry leaves. Instant Khaman Dhokla originates from the Indian state of Gujarat. It can be prepared for breakfast or can be converted to khaman chaat or khamini and served during high tea etc.
Instant khaman dhokla is a gram flour based recipe. I have used the regular gram flour. Little semolina (sooji) is added to give it some texture. To strike a balance sugar is also added. As such Gujarati dishes always have a hint of sweetness which compliments other flavours already present. You can add ginger chilli paste which I had omitted. Feel free to add if you want those extra flavours. I too will do that the next time. Further I added ½ cup of water to the khaman dhokla immediately after it was steamed. This ensures that the khaman dhokla is and remains moist. You can adjust the quantity of water as per your preference. A very flavourful tempering and garnishing makes the dish absolutely delightful.
1. Sift 1.5 cup besan in a big bowl. Do not skip this step.
2. 2 tbsp sooji to the besan.
3. Add 1.5 tbsp sugar and mix everything.
4. mix lukewarm water gradually. We don’t want a very thick or thin batter.
5. Check the consistency of the batter. Adjust the quantity of water for the desired consistency. I used 150 ml of water.
6. Add ¼ tsp citric acid or 2 tbsp lemon juice. Prefer using lemon juice. Mix everything well.
7. Cover the batter and let it rest for 15 minutes.
8. Meanwhile prepare the steamer and grease the pan for steaming the khaman dhokla.
9. After 15 minutes, mix the batter once.
10. Add 1/3 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste and 1 tsp oil.
11. Add 1 tsp eno and add 1 tsp water on eno.
12. IMMEDIATELY pour in the dhokla pan.
13. IMMEDIATELY pour in the dhokla pan.
14. Pat the pan to level the batter.
15. Put the pan in the steamer. The water in the steamer should be boiling when you put the pan in. Reduce the flame to medium and steam the batter for 20 minutes.
16. Check after 20 minutes. Do not be tempted to check before that. To check, insert a knife. It should come out clean. If the khaman dhokla is underdone, cook for further 2-5 minutes.
17. Prepare the water solution. Take ½ cup water and add 1/3 tsp salt and ½ tsp sugar to it.
18. Pour this water solution on the dhokla while its still hot. And then let it cool.
19. Prepare the tempering. For that heat 1.5 tbsp oil. Add ¼ tsp asafoetida and 1 tsp mustard seeds. Let the seeds splutter.
20. Add 3 green chillies slit and cook for half a minute.
21. Add few curry leaves and cook for few seconds.
22. De mould the dhokla.
23. Pour the tadka over the dhokla while the tadka is still hot. It help the tadka to stick to the dhokla.
24. Cut the dhokla into desired pieces and garnish with a handful of chopped coriander leaves and freshly grated coconut.
25. Serve with coriander and curd chutney.
PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 15minutes
TOTAL TIME 35 minutes
For Khaman Dhokla:
For water solution:
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback