Garam masala is an absolutely flavourful mix of spices that are added to gravies, side dishes, snacks etc. It adds flavours and heat to the dish it is added to. It is very simple to make. The best part about homemade masalas is that they can be made in small quantity and made fresh as and when required. When made at home, the best and fresh ingredients are used, thus ruling out any sort of adulteration.
The list of ingredients is the beauty of this recipe. For this, we don’t need any fancy (as in not used very common) spices. Simple spices which are always available in our pantry are required. Coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon are some spices that are required. At times I add more whole spices while making pulao than I have used for this garam masala (haha). This recipe gives a small batch. You can double or triple the recipe. Another garam masala recipe on the blog is this.
1. Dry roast spices till aromatic : Add all the spices in a pan. And dry them on low flame till aromatic. You will see a slight change in color.
Tips: Dry roasting whole spices makes the grinding easier and garam masala more flavourful.
2. Cool and grind : Take out the spices in a plate and let them cool completely. Grind to a fine powder.
3. Sieve the powder : Sieve to avoid any whole pieces.
4. Ready to use : Pep up the gravies and sabjis with little Powder.
PREP TIME 5 minutes
COOK TIME 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME 10 minutes
• 4 tbsp coriander seeds (sabut dhaniya)
• 2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
• 1 tsp cloves (laung)
• 1 tsp cardamom seeds (elaichi ke daane)
• 4 bay leaves (tej patta)
• 6 dried whole red chillies (sookhi sabut lal mirchi)
• 4 inch piece cinnamon (dal chini)
1. Dry roast spice till aromatic
Add all the spices in a pan. Dry roast the same on low flame till aromatic. You will see a slight change of colour.
Tip: Dry roasting whole spices make the grinding easier.
2. Cool and grind
Take out the spices in a plate and let them cool completely. Grind to a fine powder.
3. Sieve the powder
Sieve to avoid any whole pieces.
4. Ready to use
Pep up the gravies and sabji with little garam masala.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback