According to Wikipedia Wikipedia has never had a Tutti Frutti Cake. You know what I mean! Basically Wikipedia is silent on this so please refer to Vinipedia.
According to Vinipedia
Tutti frutti cake is a soft, moist and FRUITY cake with that pretty tutti frutti to enhance its appeal. A very festive/celebration kind of cake!
When I searched the Recipe of Tutti Frutti Cake, I observed most of the cakes were simple vanilla cake with tutti frutti in it. I am no baker or recipe creator but I want my cakes to be different from one another.
Searching for a good recipe, I came to egglesscooking.com. The author had replaced eggs with apple sauce. I was really happy because I am always keen to try different egg substitutes for baking and I knew apple sauce will give a fruity hint to the cake, which I wanted.
The recipe calls for cake flour. However you can use all purpose flour or make cake flour with all purpose flour, as mentioned in the recipe.
It’s a very soft cake. To get the best slices leave it in the refrigerator for a day and slice it next day. #patiencetest
1. First of all, let’s make unsweetened apple sauce. For that take a saucepan. Add ½ cup water and 1 small apple, peeled and cubed. You can also add a piece of cinnamon to this.
2. Let it simmer for 15 minutes or till the apple get soft and mushy. Add more water if needed.
3. After 15 minutes when apple is soft and mushy, remove it from the heat and let it cool. Remove excess water if any and then make a sauce by blending it. We need 1/4 cup of this sauce not the whole of it.
4. Now we move on to the cake. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (160⁰C in case of fan oven / convection oven) and prepare the cake tin. A 9”*5” cake tin is suggested for this volume.
5. In a bowl take 1/2 cup tutti frutti and add 1tbsp flour out of the measured flour we have. Mix the tutti frutti and the flour well. This will avoid the sinking down of tutti frutti.
6. Sift together the dry ingredients i.e. 1.5 cup cake flour, 1 and 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 3/4 cup sugar powdered and mix. (To make 1 cup cake flour, take 1 cup all purpose flour… take out 2 tbsp of this all purpose flour and add 2 tbsp cornflour. So basically we are replacing 2 tbsp all purpose flour for 2 tbsp cornflour for 1 cup cake flour.) If you didn’t get the maths go ahead with all purpose flour.
7. Add the wet ingredients i.e. 3/4 cup butter softened, 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce, 1/2 cup plain Yogurt, 3 tbsp milk and 1.5 tsp essence.
8. Mix everything together.
9. Use an electric beater to mix everything and gradually increase the speed and keep mixing for 5-6 minutes. The batter should double in volume.
10. Now add ½ cup dusted tutti frutti and fold them into the batter.
11. Pour the batter in the greased tin. Pat the tin twice and level the batter.
12. Bake at 180⁰C (160⁰C in case of fan oven / convection oven) for 55-65 minutes. If the cakes browns too fast cover it with an aluminum foil after 30 minutes and continue to bake till done. Once done, take it out of the oven and let it cool and then de mould. Refrigerate for a few hours and then slice and serve.
PREP TIME 25 minutes
COOK TIME 55-60 minutes
TOTAL TIME 80-85 minutes
For unsweetened apple sauce:
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback