Dal Baati Recipe is an Indian dish comprising of dal (lentils) and baati (hard wheat rolls). Baati is a whole wheat roundel with flavors of clarified butter (ghee), carom seeds (ajwain) and fennel seeds (saunf) cooked, bathed in ghee and served with dal, making a delicious meal. Dal… a combination of dals(lentils)cooked and tempered with spices along with onion, ginger garlic, and tomato.
This recipe calls for ghee and lukewarm milk. I would always use water to knead the dough for baati. But ever since I used milk to make the dough for Aloo Frankie, I was happy with the texture I got. So I decided to try using milk for baati also and it did wonders. I flavored the baatis with ajwain, saunf, and sabut dhaniya.
Dals… I have used a chana, kaali urad, moong, and masoor dals. And dal combination might vary as per your choice. I don’t add arhar dal because I don’t like it. But you may add that too. In this Dal Baati Recipe, I have tempered the dal with onion, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes. You can omit the onion garlic. Easily customize the tempering as per your choice keeping it limited to some simple spices.
1. Pressure cook the soaked dals with 3 cups of water, salt to taste and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for 10 minutes on low flame after the first whistle. The lentils should be soft.
2. Prepare 1st tempering. For that heat 2 tbsp ghee and add 1 tsp jeera and a good pinch of heeng.
3. Once it splutters, add 2 chopped onions. Cook till they become golden brown.
4. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell goes away. It will take a minute.
5. Add 2 pureed tomatoes. Cook till the oil oozes out.
6. Add 1 tsp red chili powder, 2 tsp kasuri methi and cook for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the tempering to the cooked dal.
8. Prepare second tempering. For that heat 1 tbsp ghee. Add 2 sabut lal mirchi. Let it crackle.
9. Pour over the dal.
10. Bon appétit.
1. In a large bowl or plate, take 3.5 cups whole wheat flour. Add 1/2 cup sooji, salt to taste, 1 tsp ajwain, 1/2 tsp saunf and 1/2 tsp sabut dhaniya
2. Add 1 cup melted ghee. Mix well.
3. Use lukewarm milk to prepare the dough.
4. Prepare semi-soft dough.
5. Let the dough rest for 10-15 minutes.
6. Pre-heat the tandoor or oven.
7. After 10-15 minutes, divide the dough into 16 portions.
8. Roll them into balls.
9. Make a thumb impression.
10. Place the baatis in the pre-heated tandoor/oven.
11. If making the baatis in an oven, make them at 200⁰C for 10 minutes each both the sides. If making in a tandoor cook on low flame till there are spots and the baatis look cooked.
12. Flip them twice/thrice.
13. Bon appétit
PREP TIME 30 Minutes
COOK TIME 30 Minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour
1.Pressure cook the soaked dals with 3 cups of water, salt to taste and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for 10 minutes on low flame after the first whistle. The lentils should be soft.
1.In a large bowl or plate, take 3.5 cups whole wheat flour. Add 1/2 cup sooji, salt to taste, 1 tsp ajwain, 1/2 tsp saunf and 1/2 tsp sabut dhaniya.
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback