A chickpeas preparation made without the use of any onions or garlic still very delightful and scrumptious is Jain chana masala. There are occasion whe nwe avoid eating onion and garlic. For such occasion chana masala recipe without onion garlic is perfect. It can aso be prepared to take a break from the regular chana masala recipes.
Omitting onion and garlic means a lot of work for the remaining ingredients. I decided to keep the sharpness of whole spices and tanginess of tomatoes and pomegranate seeds. And it worked.I added whole spices to the gravy. You may roast the whole spices and powder them for this recipe. However I feel using them whole gives maximum flavours.
1. Pressure cook 1 cup chickpeas with salt to taste, 1/4 cup turmeric and 2 and 1/2 cup water for 15-20 minutes.
2. The chickpeas should be soft but not mushy. Keep them aside.
3. Grind together 3 medium-sized tomatoes, 1” piece of ginger, 1 green chilli and a small bunch of coriander.
4. Grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
5. Heat 3 tbsp oil.
6. Add 1 bay leaf.
7. Add 1” cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 2 black cardamoms and 8 peppercorns. Cook till aromatic.
8. Add the tomato puree.
9. Cook till the oil oozes.
10. Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp red chilli powder, 2 tsp pomegranate powder and 2 tsp coriander powder. Cook for a minute.
11. Add little water.
12. Cook till oil oozes.
13. Add the boiled chickpeas.
14. Cook for 5 minutes.
15. Add the stock of boiled chana/water.
16. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes.
17. Garnish with a handful of chopped coriander.
18. Bon appétit.
PREP TIME 8 hours soaking time + 10 minutes
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 20 minutes
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback