Aloo Chole is a simple yet tasty gravy preparation of potatoes and chickpeas (chole). It is mildly spiced and has a very simple gravy. When combined with Poori, chole make a great brunch option. Alternatively, aloo chole can also be served as a main course gravy for lunch or dinner. Aloo with bread makes a nice snack or breakfast option. So this recipe deserves a try because it is
simple chole recipe
chickpeas contain a high amount of vitamin C and vitamin B6
chole for aloo tikki
Boiled chole and potatoes – I like to use the smaller chickpeas. I added kokum while pressure cooking chickpeas. It gives a nice tangy flavour to chickpeas. Potatoes and chickpeas make a good combination. However you may skip potatoes if you want.
Onion and tomato gravy – I have cooked chole in gravy of onion and tomatoes. If you like the taste and aroma of garlic and ginger then you can add it to your Aloo Chole curry. I have not used tea bag but if you want to the dark color of chole curry then you can add a tea bag at the time of boiling chickpeas. Apart from that simple spices have been used.
1. Take one cup soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker, add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, salt to taste, 2 kokum and 2 cups water. Cover the cooker with lid and cook on high flame till 1 whistle and then for 10 minutes on low flame.
2. Let the pressure release on its own. Open and check the chickpeas. Discard kokum.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
4. Add 2 chopped onions in hot oil.
5. Stir it till onions become translucent.
6. Add 3 pureed tomatoes.
7. Cook till oil oozes.
8. Add 1tsp red chilli powder, 2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and 1/2 tsp amchur.
9. Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
10. Add one cup boiled chole and 2 boiled potatoes.
11. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
12. Add water according to the desired consistency of gravy.
13. Cover it with lid, and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
14. Remove the lid and check gravy consistency and seasoning.
15. Add 2 green chili.
16. Now add 1/2 garam masala and salt according to your taste.
17. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
18. Bon appétit, Serve with garam pooris and boondi raita.
PREP TIME 10 minutes + soaking time
COOK TIME 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME 40 minutes + soaking time
Please rate us and share your valuable feedback